Commercial Auto Insurance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Sep 11, 2002.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, anyone know a good company for Commercial Auto Insurance? I've shopped around quite a bit and even the lowest priced carrier I've found is still gouging me. Any suggestions?

2. Get rid of the commercial plates. That should solve the problem.

3. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I do well with Hartford. Truck, Trailer and 2m GL 1900.00 A year.

4. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Sorry Jim.....Fellow Texans, if you need insurance, call Bob Robinson @ 972-285-0381. He's an independant and has access to multiple companies to best fit you. He does ours and he really saved us some money. Thanks to you guys that have insurance. It helps our industry's image.

5. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Our truck is insured with State Farm. Complete coverage and great rates.
    But then again I'm an old "geezer" in the rate system.:D :p
    If they only knew what aftermarket goodies I had installed on the PSD.:eek:

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

In watching your posts the past 6 months you seem to run a successful biz....so if what I say you already know, please pardon me....I spent a couple of decades inside an insurance company.... take your deductibles up to the highest limit you can afford...if I recall pics of your trucks, they are older and well maintained....I hope you are not carrying any comp or collision on them...it just does not pass the cost/benefit test....also, depending on how big your fleet is, your company may be pulling mvr's on your drivers....and if you have some crash dummies on your payroll, that could be hurting you....I know for a fact that commercial auto rates have not risen as much as our liability rates...I have only 2 turcks and my total cost is only $1200 per year...its a company that only writes in the Northeast however...hope this helps...

7. JimLewis

Actually, NO! That doesn't solve the problem. The fact is we are using our trucks for commercial use. And it's pretty obvious when you see our trucks and trailers that they are not personal trucks. The problem arises when you get into an accident and the "personal" auto policy you had them insured on finds out the trucks were actually used commercially and then denies your claim and cancels your insurance. The other party in the accident doesn't take to kindly to that.

Just FYI, I have a good friend who's an LCO who tried using his "personal" auto insurance on his truck and is now facing a pretty big lawsuit from the car he hit because they denied him when he got into an accident. Not cool.

Furthermore, we don't have commercial license plates.

8. JimLewis

Yep, already did it.
    Heck no.
    YAh, they are. And my employees are good, in regards to their MVR. It's my MVR that is raising our rates. I have 3 speeding tickets in the last 3 years. :eek:

9. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

Jim,

I have mine insured with Progressive with 1 mil liability.
    1 Truck 1600 a year.

10. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

choupique, do you do anything the right way or everything your way???:rolleyes: :rolleyes: