1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Bed Edger.....Which one should i buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ShortCuts, Mar 28, 2001.

1. ShortCuts

ShortCuts LawnSite Member
    from Maine

We have more then doubled the amount of mulching we are doing this spring(from last year). I think it is time for a commercial edger. What do you guys use? which one is the best?
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have an Echo stick edger and a Little Wonder 4hp walkbehind bed edger like em both!
  3. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

have an echo stick but wish I had my LE 230 shindaiwa back :(
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I use the Trench Master by Brown Mfg with the steerable handle. The unit cost us around $2300 and is worth every penny.

The traditional wb edger needs to have spade work done afterwards and with the bed shaper it eliminates the other man needed for labor and cuts job times in half.

Good Luck this season!
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Kris beat me to it, are you looking for a stick edger type or a trenching type? Here is the Trench Master Kris speaks of, a very good maching, the new model has steering also.

Funny, from the looks of the grass in the photo, everything needs to be a bed. ;)

6. ShortCuts

ShortCuts LawnSite Member
    from Maine

$2300!!!??? How much did the edger in the picture above cost? because that is just what i'm looking for.
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i rent a bed shaper brand from my mower dealer it fits on my walker but there is also a hydro wlk behind that is available similar in price asa above , i have used the above unit and think the bed shaper brand is more maneauverable without losing speed .....100 feet a minute
  9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I just bought the same one that Ray has pictured. I payed $2169. If you don't want to buy one then I would recommend renting one. They'll save you hours and hours of work. Rent one and do all your beds in one day.
  10. 1st impressions

1st impressions LawnSite Member

Do you guys use these bed edging machines on residential accounts or only commercial? If residential, what do you do about cable wires, invisible dog fences, and sprinkler systems? I saw a Browning being demo'ed and it trenched at least 5-7 inches down. Do you call the local locator service or just wing it?