Commercial Bid: Bid High or Bid Firm?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hardatworknc, Apr 25, 2008.

1. So I am curious to know how you guys approach commercial bids. Do you go into the bid a little high so you can negotiate lower? or do most commercial accounts expect you to give them a firm bid?

2. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

i never negotiate pricing it is what it is. I even put Prices are NON-NEGOTIABLE on all my contracts

3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

X2..........

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you go in and are outside the average they won't call you....but you always have to have a fallback number to get the contract if they show the bids and say they really want you will you match. Sorta like poker...got to know when to hold and when to fold.

5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, my "small" experience with commercial bids is that if your not in their ballpark to begin with, IE: too high/too low etc, you wont even get a chance to negotiate.

I wont do that anyway, the price is what it is. The only thing i offer is when sometimes management companies have say 3 properties close to each other, each would be $400 a cut and instead of 1200 total, ill knock 15% off to get all three contracts.... that hasn't worked yet either though. I lost a bid for two places in March 08 that i thought was a really fair price and with the 15% savings they should have at the very least entertained my offer... they didnt. This was comming from a place very unhappy with the previous years work overall and had only 3 places bid on it :/