Commercial Bid

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TBol, Oct 11, 2007.

1. TBol

TBol LawnSite Member

Hey there,

I've been in business for about six months now and was just offered to bid on a commercial property. It's for a year contract. Can anyone assist me with the bid or at least a direction to start?

Specs are (weekly):
    6 Live Oak
    8 Southern Magnolia
    15 Cabbage Palm
    630 Sandankwa Viburnum
    215 Dwarf Yaupon Holly
    24 palms under 20ft
    9 palms 20-27ft
    4 small palm clusters
    5 oaks 11-18ft
    2 oaks 24-30ft
    22 maples under 12ft
    2 acres to mow
    2 acres hard surface, blow off
    + monthly irrigation system check

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks, TBol

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

3. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

My number one piece of advise with commercial is to walk the property like you were trimming and edging the property. Commercials tend to have much more edging than residentials due to the parking lots. My first couple of bids I just took into account the mowing and that came back to bite me.

Secondly, talk to the property manager or owner and see what their expectations are for the extras i.e. bed maintenance, annual flowers, irrgation maint, trash pickup. These can really make a difference in how the property is bid. You don't want to submit a bid that doesn't include everything that they want and then have to go back to the property and rewrite your contract.

Finally, commercial properties are the best money makers and easiest to care for once you get into them. You don't have homeowners coming out every visit asking your crews to do extra stuff and you don't have to fret the small details as much such as color arrangement of annuals, height of cut, or time of arrival. But you do want to make sure your t's are crossed and i's dotted. If the property is owned by an LLC and managed by a management company and the management company has approached you about the maintenance make sure the contract is in the LLC's name not the management companies. These properties change hands and you want to make sure you can go to the new management company with the contract made out to the LLC. Trust me this one has also bit once.

Good Luck.