1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial BId

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by msryan, Mar 4, 2008.

1. msryan

msryan LawnSite Member

I went to this property this morning and measured. Overall total square footage is 160k. 44k of that is in the coutyard which I can get larger mowers into. If my math is right i figured it was 3.75 acres.

As you can see there are alot of trees to go around. There is about a 150 ft stretch where there are large rocks that would have to be trimmed around.

I am having trouble bidding this because of how all the ground is separated out and will take much longer to cut. The maintenance guy said that last year they had 2 zero turns, a walkbehind, and a guy running a trimmer and they were done in about three hours.

I am a solo so I would plan on a long day at this job. I currently have a 44 inch hydro wb and a 21". If I get this bid I would be getting a 52 or 60" zero turn.

I was thinking around $350-$400 per cut. If they want it edged I figured I would do that monthly at an additional cost of $150 per month. (3 hours labor)

Last year they had one company do the mowing, one fertilize, and another do the clean ups! I would like to land all three. As for fert I figured $800 per time. ($5.00 per 1,000 sq ft).

Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Google Earth Image Edited.JPG
  2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be at around 675 per fert.
    I would add in the edging to your price and put it in the bid you will do it once per month (I would do it more often, but thats just me).

Your price is about 106 per acre. Seems a bit high to me, but I don't know what your area will support. Residential around here gets about 60 an acre and commercial is less than that but you have significantly more trimming on apartments with the trees and such.

That being said, if I were going to bid that here, I would go with about 80 an acre with edging once per month (300 per cut).
    I try to base my cleanups per man hour.
  3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like you would have an all day job on your hands. I think your price of $400 is a good price though you might want to raise it a little if you are going to be there all day. If it took 4 guys before to get it done in 3 hours figure you will get it done in about 9 hours or more. Though you might want to look into getting another guy with you on this one just to do the trimming and some mowing. Hopefully all works out for you with this one.
  4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

+1 and it's actually 3.67 ac 160000 / 43560 = 3.67
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Are you sure you want to bid this? Can you handle this work load in one day by yourself? You said you need to buy a Z - is the Z worth the investment if you were to loss this account in a year?
  6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

How can that take all day? Seems as though one could push mow it in a day.
  7. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a property set up similar size, broken up into lots of little sections. The worst part is all the walking to trim everything, then go back around to blow off all the walks and roadways. If you are to bid, I'd seriously consider having someone to work with you and help w/ the trimming and cleanup. I get $350 per cut. But that is in my area, not sure what your area will tolerate. Any way to find out what the last guy charged? Why are they putting it out to bid? Not happy w/ the last guy?, or just have to bid it each year?
    Hope it helps.
  8. msryan

msryan LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys. The guy has tow properties and wants the same guy on both. The other is less hilly and easier I dont have little patches everywhere. It is about 122k square feet. What type of discount do you guys give people with more than one property?
  9. msryan

msryan LawnSite Member

*tow was supposed to be two
  10. msryan

msryan LawnSite Member

Under new ownership this year. My sister is a resident at one of his properties so I was able to talk to the owner about it. I would most likely get a helper to do the trimming. I should be able to afford that if this goes through well.