Commercial bidding

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by holyshnikies, Feb 4, 2006.

1. holyshnikies

holyshnikies LawnSite Member
    from MO

im thinkin about sub contracting some commercial business from a company but not too sure what to charge per hour all the information i have is its 1 day worth of mowing and id have to buy a 52 stander so if anybody could give me a number per i hour thatd be awsome

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

there is no way anyone can give a number based on your complete lack of information.

complete day as in 8 hour, 10 hours, 12 hours
    complete day for how many people

are you just cutting, cut and line trim, cut, line trim, edge and blow?

what are your expenses? ( gas, maintenance, employees)
    what is your overhead? (insurance, building, equipment)
    What is your desired profit?
    How far is your drive?

My suggestion, is that if you have to buy equipment to become a sub-contractor, you are probably in over your head or at least not gonna make anything.

$5000 for a mower is $160 monthly just to pay for the mower note.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am guessing they won't want to pay you but around $20 per hour. For example in our business we bid a lot of commericial at $25/hr.

4. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

they usually give you a contracted rate for the season to do all the work when subcontraction per location then they pay you over a span of 6-8 months payments

example 1 location one yearly rate including prunning 2 times a year , spring mulch, fall clean up, and 28-30 weeks of mowing

10 yrds of mulch, maybe 10-20 bushes to trim , also some require you to have a fert licience because they are going to want you to do that as well
    at least 4 times a year and keep weeds and trash picked up weekly also edging of beds and walks one time usually in sping on beds and then the walks when needed. average time per location per week can range from 45 min to a 1.5 hous per guy so 2 guys thats means you have 1.5 hours to 3 hours of work per week. they are usually on 2-3 acres lots. but trimming is time consumming. maybe 10,000-15,000 of space to mow. yearly cost 2600-3000 per location. if you can get a days worth of work or more it worth it. so 325 per month or 375 per month. say you have 8 of them thats 2600-3000 per month. divide that by 4 weeks 650-750 weekly. thats makes it worth it. thats making 650-750 per day. if it only one or 2 or you have to drive 200-300 miles for the route then it not worth it

5. holyshnikies

from MO

3days
    8hr days
    me and 1 employee
    cut, line trim, edge and blow
    prob 1200 or more a month in expensed

6. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

you might want to read my post on this

7. holyshnikies

from MO

do u think id get it for 35 per hour

8. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

Well, do you have any competition? Do you have to have a minimum insurance? If you are staying in one place with no drive time between jobs then 35 an hour around here is about 5 bucks too high especially for standard lawn maintenance, if you have to drive a larger distance to get there then throw in your drive time too. If you can I would strongly suggest pricing what you can live with, not what is going to line your pocket with cash cause if you have competition your living in a dream world.

9. holyshnikies

from MO

thats about all i could do expense wise i might be able to do 30, and theres business all over he says so prob a lot of driving 150 in gas a week, and a new mower but after this year id be in good shape what would u do? as of now i only hav around 10 residential

10. JLL25

JLL25 LawnSite Member

I would live with 30 an hour for this large account, at least for the first year. Get the new mower and put it to work as much as possible on all your accounts.