Commercial bidding

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by IowaLawnEnforcement, Dec 6, 2006.

1. IowaLawnEnforcement

IowaLawnEnforcement LawnSite Member

I am working for a company to get me through the winter months and the maintenance dept asked me to prepare a bid for lawn care. I have never bid a commercial account so I need some help on this one. I have looked over the property and it will take 8 hrs. I am a solo LCO so do you think $10,000.00
    up front for the year is unresonable. Thanks for any advice.:hammerhead:

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Might be...what do the guys you work with think ?
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Up front? yes. Just make sure you have a detailed contract & you should be fiine. Make sure you put due in 30 days or financing fees may be applied. This helps ensure that you get paid in a reasonable amount of time. You might consider asking what they were paying last year to get a better idea. Sometimes they'll tell you, sometimes they won't; it's a coin toss.
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

That's easy - if you know for sure how long it will take you, simply multiply by whatever you desire to make per hour.

I never ask or want to see what someone else is doing the job for. My price is my price, and is not influenced by what someone else is or was doing it for.

IMO, if you ask, it makes you look like you don't know what you should be charging.
  5. carcrz

I've been reading so many threads, for some reason I was thinking he was new to lawn care all together.
  6. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Hey guys,im just starting my lawn service in the spring and found a guy getting out of it.Says he works another job and cant handle it. He is giving me 15 residential accounts and I am verry excited but I am already interested in looking for a couple small commercial accounts.When you bid on commercial accounts do they usually pay for season up front or monthly or what?:confused:
  7. IowaLawnEnforcement

IowaLawnEnforcement LawnSite Member

As it turns out I am new to lawn care biz, Is there a problem with that CARCRZ I was under the impression I could come here to lawnsite to get questions answered.
  8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I totally agree with you.
  9. carcrz

No not at all. I was defending myself from a previous post. It is always good to see new people here that are asking questions & getting better educated.
  10. TGK

TGK LawnSite Member

I just felt like doing the math on this one. Iowa says 8 hours and Five O says multiply. Well lets see something. Using 40/Hour as a Solo guy. THats 240/ Cut * 30 cuts / Season = 7200.
    But you have to build in a big fudge factor. Hes never mowed this place so it might take longer, plus you dont know how much garbage you may have to stop and pick up just so the job looks good. As in w/ many comm. jobs near the road.
    10000 may be an intimidating #. why not 9200, 9400, or 9669 something like that?
    There have been large studies funded by big box companies so explore pricing something at 49.99 instead of 50.00. The conclusion is, as we can see in large store, it works!
    Just my .02