Commercial bidding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gilatplc, Mar 7, 2007.

1. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

What in your experience has been most productive in getting the bid at commercial property? I have been driving around and finding unkempt properties and "trying" to talk to the facility's manager to get the bid, this has worked ONCE.
    Looking for some tips here, thanks Gil

2. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

what i do is go into the bbuisness and ask them if i can put a bid in got to do this early though it worked several times

3. gilatplc

from FL

Ya that is mostly what I'm doing but it has been mostly "miss then hit",

And I'm kind of getting tried of all the diesel gas just disappearing for "nothing"

4. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

go buy yourself a small estimate car that gets 30 mpg thats what i did i drive it when ever i dont need a truck

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya the small truck is a must

Here's a thought ...atleast in my county .. they have an web site which you can see whom pays the property tax ..ie the owner ...n an address ... send em a bid

6. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel ya! About 1-2 months ago I tried the same thing. I stoped in on 30 places 8 is all that would even accept a bid. Heard nothing, the other day I did a follow up call and got "no" or "we haven't decisied yet". Next year I will try earlier in the year. I also wonder if it is worth the effort.

7. Bigwhop

Bigwhop LawnSite Member

I deal with alot of commercial and it can get frustrating, property managers typically like to stick with one company and its usally a low bidder. You did the first step that alot of people are not comfortable doing and thats cold calling. Drive around the site and try to talk to residents most will give you all the info you want if you ask.

Like:
    Whens renewal
    Are you happy with the currant service
    Who currently has the contract
    What mangement company works for you ect, ect, ect.

Sometimes you will have to go around management companies if they wont give you a chance. Dont give up persistance pays.

Good Luck
    Bigwhop

8. gilatplc

from FL

OK next question, do you guys always ask what they are currently paying and what do you if they don’t tell you?
    Did a church first thing this morning and its kind of large, maybe total of 6 acre property, closer to 5, but I asked and it was like I ask for when was the last time the man had sex, just abrupt "I’m not going to tell you that information"! Told him, Thanks for your time and would be back in the morning with my estimate.

So what do you do?

9. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

The best way to handle that situation is to tell them that you only asked so you could do a comparison bid. Then you say, "I will submit my estimate, it may be a little higher than what you are currently paying but keep in mind, there may be areas in which I can save you alot of money".

I have several bids out and letting them know you may be higher allows them to compare apples to apples. I lost a bid then got it back by simply eliminating 1 fertilizer application. This saved them $480.00 and got me in the door. Ya heard!