1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Bidding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by muxx, Jun 1, 2003.

1. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

I am looking for advice on commercial bidding. (larger jobs) Most of these are set on yearly prices. Do you ask for a percentage up front? I have heard that some ask for 20%. We are looking at jobs of !50,000 to 1.5 mill. Thanks for any input.
  2. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I have never asked for anything up front on maintenance. On landscape jobs yes up to 50%. The bottom line if you bid commercial maintenace you need to be financially able to weather the storm of a business dropping you or them going out of business. I believe that by asking for up front money you are eliminating yourself. And here is why: the commercial company is already placing their faith in you that you will perform to your contract. Now you want them to place more faith in you by paying you for work you have not done. Not a good idea IMHO.
  3. I dunno....I've never seen that much money in one contract.:D :D

How are you liking that Toro 580-D by now? Did you get all the bugs worked out of it?

I see you're now listing 2 72" Lazer diesels in your inventory. That's exactly what I was considering. I looked at one at the Ohio Farm Science Review last year. Great looking machines!

Thinking about it, I'd say you would be better off without any front money if you can wait for it.
    My idea would be to keep this option out of the contract to deny this money to some competitor bidding with only the shirt on his back. You've seen the type "I'll start mowing as soon as you give me money to buy a mower".
    You've already made your commitment to mowing. Let the other guy prove himself capable.
    But it's just a thought I had. Like I said this is kind of out of my league. :D

4. colonel landscaping

colonel landscaping LawnSite Member

ONE POINT 5 MILL (nick)falls down ..through the floor into basement an into ground...ouch need some contracts like that