1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial bids-Can I see the others?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by precisioncut, Apr 26, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I'm now starting to put bids on commercial properties, and if I get rejected, do they typically let you see the other bids? I would like to see the winner to see how far off I was.
    Lwt me know. Thanks.
  2. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

I dont know about SEEING them but you could probally ask and find out the numbers, but it all depends
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Most places will not reveal the numbers, but then I never ask on larger accounts, just not professional. IMO
  4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Most times the only exact numbers I find out are public tenders.

Why is it not professional to ask? We always ask in the maintenence division. Not for an exact number but where did we land ...high, low, middle. Not that it really matters but it's just nice to know. A lot of them will share the exact number it went for.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi precisioncut,

That sounds like a good idea to ask. At worst all they can say is no and at best you can see how you compared.
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I agree with special....not professional to inquire about your competition's rates...
  7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had a few companies offer to tell me and thats fine I will listen. But I dont ask because it really doesn't matter. At this point I'm pretty confident in my pricing. If someone will do it for less thats fine. I dont expect to get all the jobs I bid on.
    Also knowing what the other guy bids is what drives prices down.
  8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I really do know what your saying specialtylc ... like you we are confident in our quotes and are not going to change because we are high ... but... it could help us change our focus. What I have found out from asking is that we are always high when bidding condos unless it is a really high end place that doesn't mind paying for top notch full service maintenance. So why bother spending 2 weeks each spring bidding hundreds of crappy condo units that go dirt cheap. It's just not our thing. I dunno ... I don't think it hurts to find out where you stand as long as you don't let it influence your quote the next year.
  9. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I just got the call and they excepted my bid. So I won't need to ask. But I will ask to see where my prices land from now on.
  10. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you mean the ACCEPTED your bid.