Commercial bids.. PITA!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Sep 4, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We recieved a packet full of bid locations, which is a good thing but the bid specs are a real PITA! They break it down like this, some are obvious like mowing but the rest of the sheets breaks down too much, individual prices for edging sidewalks and curbs, individual prices for edging around flower beds, individual prices for weeding and so on. Is this a normal thing or is this company going paper crazy? Anyone have any experience with these types of contracts?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Not normal, what type of commericial are you talking about? This sounds like a property that wants to do some of the work themselves so they want a lot of detail.

3. nobagger

from Pa

Its a reality company who owns a ton of properties.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like they are trying to find a lowbidder in each cut area and then bid them out seperately if they find an LCO dumb enough to fall for their trick

5. nobagger

from Pa

Anyone else have any experience with this type of contract?

6. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

sounds like the real estate co is either run by a bunch of penny counters or has been royally screwed before ..........now they intend to micromanage the contractor to death! RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. they seem to be looking for lowballers or worse yet.............every possible way they can to screw you out of your money.

7. nobagger

from Pa

The property manager told me they were looking to get new prices and I guess to get their prices back under control. I'm guessing they were getting too high. One packet included 108 houses all in the same area but need to be done on Mondays only, the lots are maybe 5k sqft at most but all have gated rear yards (gate openings are about 48" openings) but all need bagged, edged, trimmed and blown off. We figured 2 crews of 2 or 3 with a 36 w/b one guy just trimming, one guy hitting the fronts on a Z turn and one doing the rears. But we're still talking over 40hrs of work. Individualy these houses would fall in the price range of $20-$25 but they are all right next to each other. But even at $25 per yard your not making any $$$ or its very little by the time you brake it down.

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

weve been getting a lot of bid sheets like that. one was 10 pages long for some local banks us lawns was subing out

9. nobagger

from Pa

Hey B, how do you guys bid them? I mean how can you bid weeding, edging flowerbeds and curbs. If I have to I guess I put down example-15 min. for edging etc.

10. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Just give them a flat price for all/each 108 props, the rest is information they are not entitled to.
    If they dont like it, fine.. you just saved yourself from lowball prices and a PITA account.

ps... how is a guy named "Nobagger" going to deal with 108 bagged props? :p