commercial bids

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drew Gemma, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone tells me bid them at a lower rate cause you get paid year around? Hell no why would I lose money to get paid year around I'd just get a job working for someone. Do you give a break if your mowing large props. I go $.90 to $1.00 a min. So if I mow and it takes 4 hours do i give them a break. I have been invited to bid on 6 large commercial props for the next year. They only allow companies to bid that meet their criteria and have a list of references that can back up your quality and reliability. I am just trying to get everything lined up and give my best shot.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know anything about your part of the country but in our area TG and about 5 other large companies set the baseline and it is about $25/hr. Obviously one thing a little guy can offer is more hands on to take care of any problems immediately, such as irrigation break, low limbs, weeds, etc. And they will pay a little more. But if it strictly mow/edge/blow then in our area you better be low or TG or some bottom feeder with a trailer full of 60" units will bid you off the face of the earth.

3. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

Hess, are you a large company? How many employees? Have you ever spoken to some of the other larger companies like TG, Spencer, ect. I ask because I am a small company and have gotten work from these companies that they just did not want. I do however agree that these companies can come in and under bid some companies. I how ever don't have the overhead as do companies larger than myself so if I wanted I could under bid. I don't because I want to make money just like everyone else and I don't want potential customers to say why are you going up so high on your prices. Do you bid your jobs on an hourly rate or per job?

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think anyone wants you to charge less, just spread the payments out for 12 months.
    Usually there's not much to do in the winter.
    For example, one of my commercials is year round and after Nov. 15, I only show up every 3 weeks until Mar. 1st. I get the same check every month.
    I want a few more like that. So, for about 3 1/2 months I get my money and basically make an appearance. I'll tell you, it's easier to keep an account when you're there year round.