1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Bids

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GSPHUNTER, Feb 17, 2008.

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

I have strictly residential properties right now, and I'm looking to diversify and get some bigger commercial accounts. I have some questions?

Right now, I have been looking up mailing addresses on properties that I'm interested in bidding. I've sent out a few letters requesting information on their bid process.

Does anyone else have any other techniques or suggestoins for landing commercial bid opportunities?

2. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

When doing letters, make sure they are short and to the point. Use correct formatting for a business letter.

Dear Property Manager,
    We are XYZ company and we offer ABC services. Please add us to your list of contractors for any upcoming bids that match our services.

You can email bid specifications to XYZ@popsickle.com or you can call me at 555-555-5555 to set up an appointment to review your lawncare needs.

Thank You,
    John Smith
    XYZ owner

Also, you can "beat the street" Just go door to door to places and ask to talk to someone about bidding on thier lawn care. Usually the person in charge is the main guy there, and you almost never find the main guy in the office between noon-2pm(long lunches). Also, on fridays you almost never find the main guy in the office, especially in the afternoon.

btw: my 95 letters I mailed, landed me 36 properties to bid on within the first week, and I am expecting a packet anyday with another 200 properties to bid on.

my door to door gets me about 1 out of 5 interested in a bid. At first it was 1 in 20, but I quickly learned which types of businesses are interested in this type of marketing, and which are not. You just gotta feel out your area.
  3. h-desert

h-desert LawnSite Member

Do you guys ever contact property management companies? If so, are they worth the time?
  4. IMAGE

from midwest

Thats where most of my letters went. Those are the ones that responded also.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I just walk right in and ask...

when do you accept bids, who do I sent it too ?

are you happy with your current service?

not only do you sometimes get them, they will also refer you to some others,,,

Good luck
  6. Dexter Church

Dexter Church LawnSite Member

I am not shore if anyone saw my other thread that i started, it was called "how to write a proposal" my question are some what similar. I am wondering how to write up a letter offering my service. It is a condo that i am writing to.

"I am writing you to offer you my service. I am the owner of a Landscaping co. on the West Island. I have been in the business for five years. Up until last season I was only cutting residential properties. For the up and coming season I am looking into maintaining larger properties like your building. I am fully equipped to maintain such a property like yours. We provide many different services, for example weekly mowing, garden bed maintenance shrub trimming and many other out door services.

Thank you for taking the time for reading this and I hope I will hear from who ever this may concern. It would be great if we could meet up and talk or even talk over the phone. "

Dexter Church
  7. h-desert

h-desert LawnSite Member

Do most HOA's accept bids every year?

Image - by property management do you mean people who buy land all over town and lease it out or resell it, or do you mean companies that are hired to maintain the property for the owner?

Sounds like you're getting a good return on your letters. Are you using just a form letter and changing the recipient on them.

Thanks for the info

One more question on this. Do you guys usually find that the owner of a property takes care of hiring a maintenance company or the person leasing the building? So far I have been sending letters to building owners instead of the occupant, but I'm not really sure.
  10. IMAGE

from midwest

Both. By defination a Property Management company is a company hired to maintain a property for the owner, however sometimes property management companies also own a lot of property.

I have a mailing list of the whole town. I sent to all the PM's and some of the developers. The biggest property management company in my town is also one of the biggest leasers/developers.

I am using a form letter I wrote. If you know how to use Microsoft Word, it is easy to create a letter with merge fields, then you link to your data source, and when you complete the merge it inputs the correct information in the correct spot in your letter. After I had my list of places I was goin to send the letter, it took me all of ten minutes to print them all off. Using the merge feature in Microsoft Word does all the work for you.