1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

commercial billing policies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gusbuster, Apr 3, 2000.

1. I've always been doing residential yards most of my maintenance carrer. As I expand my business into commercial properties,for commercial properties what is your billing policies?<br>As for my residential clients, this is my billing policy: invoice is due upon generation, delinquent after 18 CALANDAR days. Interest charges will incure on delinquent invoices.<br>I will be starting 27 stores(a chain) around my area soon and was wondering if my policy should be presented as part of the contract or or just presented after I get a signed contract? Do commercial properties have their own payment policies?(Burger King, McDonalds,Taco Bell ect..) All the stores that i will be doing are coporate stores.<br>Jean<p><p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044<br>
  2. sunrise

sunrise Banned

We do a power plant and they wanted to pay one time a month<br>We also do work for larger lawn care co. and they pay in 7 working days<br>But the gov. is bad to pay you will get payed 2 month after the date due but they pay.<br>good luck

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

many chains are different i do some work for walgreens chain in my area and they always pay late but i always get it another chemical company i do work for i get it net 10 but they work on po #'s i think you will have a hard time changing the particular accounts policy you will have to work with in theirs to see what gets you paid the quickest. many of these chains have more than one person to ok a bill and then there is much management turnover on top of that<br>doug
  4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Most big commercials pay fine. Forget about your payment policy, they have accounts payable department the size of some small towns. They've got more procedures in place than NASA and our payment policies are worth as much as last weeks newpaper.<p>Bill early.
  5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Lazer. You will get paid if it is a respectable business that isn't declaring Ch. 13 next week! Just prepare to be paid a little later than your residentials. Generally in the business world net 30 is acceptable. This means 30 days from the day you send your invoice.
  6. Just wanted to say thanks for the replies. At least now I know I should prepare some side money to do payroll and other business expenses for at least for a couple months.<p>Thanks agian sunrise,OBRYANMAINT,Lazer & Barkleymut for replies.<br>Jean<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044