1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

commercial business help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paxdog, Jan 23, 2005.

1. paxdog

paxdog LawnSite Member

I'm planning on getting more commercial business this year and next. I've called many property managers about giving bids, and all of them need my company info. My question is what should I include besides basic company info (# of years in business, services offered, etc)? Should I also include my education, refferals, hourly charge, etc? Would anyone be willing to give me a sample? I appreciate any comments.
  2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

What these people look for is your dossier. Include a paragraph summarizing your business, skills, equipment, etc. Then add a sheet with references – be sure to include three to five if possible. Also include your Declarations page from your commercial insurance policy as well as your Business License.

As far as charges go, you should be presenting that in a formal proposal. For a proposal, I simply bring a completed contract for them to read over. I never itemize either.
  3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

have you ever had one that wants a full break down so they can cherry pick the services? i just ask because i have one this year wants my proposal to be broken down, i know they have employees kids do the scratched items to help them make money on break from school (cheaper for them) how would you handle this, i've asked if they would just give me a listing of what services they want but, they wont. i figure this is so they can compare my cost to a collage kid. how would you address this?
  4. stumper1620

opp's sorry paxdog didn't mean to highjack your thread, i'm gonna see if i can repost this on my own without all the typing.
  5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Move on... they are not a serious prospect and you should face up to that fact.
  6. stumper1620

thanks likes to mow,
    i just moved that to a new thread.
    i kinda think so too.
  7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Cold calling property managers is a tough route. Most have a vendor in place that they use on multiple sites. Don't try to be too much of a salesman. Most base their decisions on price and or quality of service depending on their site expectations.

Don't break prices down as they may vary from site to site, depending on terrain. Most don't want per occurrence prices anyway. They will want seasonal prices for budgeting reasons.

If you don't get many hits right away, don't get discouraged. All property managers seem to talk. Your name will get out there and you will get the work. And pretty soon you won't know how to get it all done.

Selling commercial work takes time and practice. You will get a feel for it pretty quickly. Good luck.