Commercial Contracts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bustus, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

This is my fourth year with my business which currently only deals with residential contracts. I was wondering how I would obtain commercial contracts? Is it best to simply approach companies and offer my services or is advertising a good idea? Same thing with city contracts. I notice a lot of the work done in my city is done by private companies and I wouldn't mind getting in on this as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. G.L. In Ont

G.L. In Ont LawnSite Member

Bustus -- welcome -- nice to see another Canadian on the site! :canadaflag:

I am just up in the road in Newmarket - getting into Organic Lawn Care this summer (with a franchise) but looking to get some cutting contracts (either buy or go out and get) as the franchise gets going.

You'll get some great answers on here as there is a LOT of talent - and a really wide range from new solo LCO's all the way to guys that have been doing it years and years. For me this site has been invaluable in my research -- so :clapping: from me to everyone.

That said, you might want to try stopping in at one of the stores in a plaza to ask who they pay rent to, who manages the property etc. Then contact the company (likely a property management company or developer) and very professionally ask if you could submit a proposal for their summer maintenance needs (year-round if you plow and think you can do that too). If you feel confident and have good sales skills see if you can negotiate a meeting with them. It can go one of many ways - they may be entirely happy with their current provider and not want to entertain new offers / they may be satisfied but passively seeking an alternative at a lower price / they may be kinda pissed at the current provider and take your offer of a proposal / they may be so pissed at the current provider that they sign you up on the spot. So I think (just my humble opinion) that if you don't mind getting out there and meeting people -- which you need to get better at anyway if you want to pursue more and bigger commercial accounts - then you can be successful. If you get discouraged after the first property manager hangs up on you then you may not do as well. You also really need to 'cast out your net' of contacts - both professional and family/friends -- often times a kind aunt or friend of the family may give you a break - if they happen to own a plaza or have a Doctor's office, gas station or other commerical property then you'd be in luck.

Now you just need to know how to estimate and price -- that's a whole other ball park - you should do searches here then bring some questions.

I'll say good luck but I don't like using that word all that often - it will be hard work and lots of relationship building that will help you succeed. If you've ran a biz already since 16 chances are you don't mind expending the effort.

Take care, GL

PS. If you want to step out for a :drinkup: let me know. I think at some point some of the area businesspeople get together - I'll let you know if I hear of anything - these are always good networking sessions.

3. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

Thanks GL for the great advice. I'll definitely be using some of your suggestions.
    As for your :drinkup: offer, I couldn't refuse a networking opportunity.