commercial contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clncut, Jul 19, 2007.

1. clncut

clncut LawnSite Member

Next year Im looking to change all of my commercial contracts to a flat montly fee based on 28 cuts. My question is what do you guys do when the grass is as dry as it has been around here and does not need to be cut? Do you go around and trim just to look busy, do add more stress to the lawn by cutting it anyways or do you just skip it for the week? Any advice would help. Thanks.

John

2. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

I cut a commercial today, and as you described it is as dry as toast here. The grass was already stressed, so I just raised the deck to knock out the chicory and toe knockers. My contract says a minimum of twice a month, so that's what I do. On the days (like today) that I can buzz through the lawn, I spend a little extra time around the flower beds pulling weeds, or just picking up trash. Never had a complaint yet.

3. clncut

clncut LawnSite Member

anyone else?

4. Turf66

Turf66 LawnSite Member

I have full time employees and they have mouths to feed. I would only do contracts. You will never establish yourself as a major competitor in your market if you don't sell yourself as the best thing going in your area. Get established,market yourself and stand your ground. The top 100 didn't get where they are by only charging part time. Trust me! don't sell yourself short!!! We only do yearly contracts and we won't touch a yard unless we cut weekly in the cut season. we visit every property weekly and the clients like to see that they are getting there moneys worth. We use PGR's on our shrubs so even when we are not present we are still maintaining the property as they requested. I have a friend that cuts in the same area as i do and he bids low and does the bare minium, it takes him twice as many yards for the same money and we only do full service( we maintain 2 houses side by side in a golf community, he charges $100 a month and i'm getting $250. I have the same size crew and we also hit the shrubs. in addition to that, I have a spray truck and spray both properties so i'm cashing in both$$$ The point is if you do something, do it better than the next guy.

5. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

My County contract is a flat monthly fee. It is the County's idea, so they can budget for the year easer. If its dry and don't need mowing I done mow. But it averages out because there are wet time that i mow more often than a 6 or 7 day cycle.

It takes a understanding manager to pay the month bill and know I have only mower maybe 3 or 4 times in the month. But like i said it all averages out over the years.

Two years ago we had a very dry summer and to keep busy I was on the ground timming edging and picking up some trash and just be seem doing something so they did not feel so bad. Basically I did lawn care stuff that was not really in my contract, and it make then happy.

6. bushog

bushog LawnSite Member

just go with your 28 cuts. If you have to skip them a few times during season, so be. Set up your contract with 28 minimum cuts for season. Anything over 28 add to final invoice.