1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial customer and 2 million in insurance?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LB Landscaping, Mar 26, 2006.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Bidding a large commercial property in the area and was talking witht he manager. He said that they require 2 million in insuance converage from all companies working on site. I have never been asked for more than 1 million anyone else???
  2. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I'm covered for $1,000,000 but realize that I should be covered for a LOT more.
  3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I had one that wanted 3,000,000 and not only that they wanted 4 subsidiary companies also named on my policy. It was going to cost and extra $400 per year for that, so I told the manager to call headquarters and explain to them that I would have to add the $400 to the Quote.
    Then I proceeded to ask him to explain to headquarters that all I am doing is mowing grass - (Big companies have a standard contract that everyone wheather you are blasting with dynamite or mowing) - I asked him to ask them to please consider this and that I thought 1,000,000 was plenty, and there was no reason for the additional insured's - The HEADQUARTERS agreed, so end of problem.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

It's really not uncommon at all anymore. We are 80% Commercial and have several of them that require $2M in Liablity. I carry $10,000,000.00 so it is never an issue.
  5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Sounds reasonable, but i agree with you flex deck. Got a call into my insurance guy to see what the jump in coverage would cost. From 500K to 1 million was only $50 a year so we'll have to see.
  6. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Holy Cow thats a lot of liability.:)
  7. wormburner

wormburner LawnSite Member

Around here gas stations and some chemical company's require 2 mill.min.
  8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, please excuse me for prying, but how much is your premium on $10,000,000? :usflag:
  9. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

We did not ask for 2 million but did get it. And always call price checking and it was the same as 1 million.
  10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I figure better safe than sorry esp in my situation with the size of my company and so much travel involved with my two travel crews.