commercial cutting rate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fraggle, Sep 12, 2005.

1. fraggle

fraggle LawnSite Member

Hello,
    99% of my work is residential, so I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out with this...Is there a sq. ft rate for commercial cutting, weeding, edging, and blow off? Also the same for snowplowing and salting?. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. PrecisionLawnsInc

PrecisionLawnsInc LawnSite Member

We look at property and decide how much time its going to take us to do it. Things we look at are size (obviously), terrain (are there too many dips and berms to use our 60 inch ztr), gate size (do i have to use the stander on the back yard,or worse,a 21 incher), how much trimming is there (fences, trees, landscaped areas), and how many obstacles are there in the yard to mow around (open ground goes alot faster,even on a ztr). Then decide how much that amount of time is worth to you. I have 2 houses a block apart where the price difference is 15 dollars and they have the same amount of yard. The cheaper one has no trees in the yard, no fence (quicker transition from front to back yard, don't have to trim around it and can put the ztr in back yard). the more expensive one has a very narrow gate for back yard so I have to use a 21 inch mower on the back. The back yard is very rough so i have to go slower or the mower will bounce all over the place, and a few low lying trees to work around. Also have to trim a wood slat fence (those are a pain). both have landscaping along the front of the house only but all in all the 2nd one takes alot more time to cut. Just figure out what you want to make in a given time and stick to your guns(as long as you're pricing within reason). Don't let potential customers try to talk you down on price. Its disrespectful, basically saying your time and livelihood aren't worth that much to them. Once word gets out that you back down on your prices everybody will want a discount. Do quality work, don't rush, and you will be just fine!

Hope this helps,
    Ty

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I charge the same for commercial lots than residential, like the other guy said, it's based on time. Probably the only thing to watch out for that you won't find much of in resi.lots are curbs, I find a lot of comm.props have a TON of curbs so you need to know how to curb-jump these things and each curb takes about a minute to deal with PLUS you gotta weedeat the curbs, keep this in mind.

4. fraggle

fraggle LawnSite Member

Thanks, I appreciate it

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I Mow commercial Have a ton of curbs but with my mowing setup can do 22 acres - 1 mile of curbs solo in 5 hrs.