commercial duty(so heavy Why?)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gusbuster, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Why can't somebody come up with a mower that is easy to lift like my #22261 LawnBoy (weight issue), have a transmission like the Toro pro line and the reliable start up of a Honda engine.

It's getting to a point that I will be spending my money on home owner grade mowers, since these are the only machines that don't weigh a ton, that I can use during my wet months( i do get to work all year) without marking the heck out of a lawn and one man can lift it up on a truck or short stack of stairs.

When will a manufacture build a commercial duty machine, self-propelled that will weigh under 75 pounds? I can't get the LawnBoy's any more since they don't meet emission control rules of California and some of the other 2-cycle machines.

My lawns that I service, to spend money on a bigger machine than a 21" mower due to the density of housing, small sq. ft and small gates would be a bad investment in equipment. Maybe 5% of my clients I could use a 32 in no problem.

John

2. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Hey gusbuster. Maybe someone could buy you a LB in another state and ship it to you as a "birthday" present!:D

3. Yes I could do that, but any major repairs, the shop will not fix since the machine is illegal in this state because it was purchased after the grandfather clause. The funny part is: I can replace the current engine with another short block and still be legal. Now does that make sense???

4. Why doesn't someone, or some manufacturer, put pneumatic tires on a 21" mower?

Of course with most any existing decks the wheels would stick out and kill the trimming, but it'd sure be effective in wet areas.

Of course the mower would weigh 75# or more. But it would reduce the ground pressure to practically nothing.

Dave

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

What about a sensation or a bobcat, they had selfpropelled models, if you can find one.. they are 4 stroke... all aluminum deck.. I can pick mine up with out a problem,

6. Can you give me model numbers. Also, even though 4 stroke, are they teir 3 emmision compliant if you know?
    John

7. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Gusbuster,
    I've been wondering the same thing.

This part of my conversation with a local dealer....
    If I buy a proline 21" I'd never have to buy another mower, right???? Then when I'm cutting with the 100lb. mower on hard little 8"tires and leaving wheel marks on all my props (wet or dry) what do we do then??? Maybe use string trimmers???

I don't know why mower companies can't make a decent commercial 21" that weighs less than 85lbs.? I mean, we can put a man on the moon.....

8. I agree, if we can make planes that will take the G-force that our fighter planes pull, why can't they make a lighter machine.
    John

9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just go out of state and get whatever machine you want. You are in the lawn care business so by defaualt you are the mechanic. Just order parts online.

I love my old Honda HRS21. Sooooooooper reliable starts, no transmission (you push) but the light weight makes up for no trans. The best handle (ergonomically speaking) I have ever run.

Don't let the bureaucratic toads cut into your profits. This is business, and you do what you have to do.

Changing the subject to the government...bunch of toads/ euphorians/ utopians, they want battery/hybrid powered cars that have 1500 lbs. of lead acid batteries and last 5 years. Where's the common sense? They'll beg you to recycle a can then strap you into a car that has to be "recycled" in 7 years. Did they ever stop to think how much resources it takes to build a new car in 8 years versus building a quality car that will last 20 years?

What happened to to the big picture? Like I said, its business, do what you have to, vote your common sense!!!

The same goes for those toadish little New England townships that ban leaf blowers. Bunch of toads. Use a rake to clean leaves. Minimum price, $65,000 per leaf cleanup.

Toads Toads Toads.

Ribbet

10. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

You should have stocked up on Lawnboys.

I've got 10.

lawnboys.jpg