commercial fertilizer vs Scott's

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by 97firebird, Apr 1, 2006.

1. 97firebird

97firebird LawnSite Member

Hey guys, a friend of mine wants to know if there is really any quality difference between the "special" fertilizers that commercial fertilizers use (Chemlawn, Greenthumb, Lawn Doctors) and something like the Scott's fertilizer. Also, is there a difference between the grub killers? Any information would be appreciated. Thank You.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

there are much better products on the market than scotts, but I would use scotts before calling TG. you can find a good quality product at Lesco, a garden center of co-op in your area. as far as grub control goes I prefer Merit, apply in mid June. it works as a preventive and disrupts the grubs digestive system so they starve to death. its one of the safest and most effective grub products on the market.

3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

you're kiddin right???
    SCOTTS????????????
    :laugh:

4. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

in florida there is a scotts lawncare business run by the same scotts (fert company) a tg ripoff basically. I watched a couple guys on their first year of startup....they use lesco fertilizer!!! no joke.
    :drinkup:

5. greenjack

greenjack LawnSite Member
    from MI

scotts is for people that want to do thier own lawn, it is a weak fert. so that people wont destroy their lawn because they dont know much about fertilizing.

6. 97firebird

97firebird LawnSite Member

Ok, so Lesco fertilizer is a good professional grade? If I were to apply it to his lawn could I just follow the instructions on the bag? I'm just new to the fertilizer applications and I certainly do not want to do any damage to his lawn before the wedding they are having in the back yard! Thanks for the replies guys.

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

My vote is for LESCO, I think it's one of the best!!! JMO:)

8. bntt68

bntt68 LawnSite Senior Member

Ive had great results with Greenview products made by Lebanon.

9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Just make sure you follow the directions on the bag. Also make sure it contains no control products (pesticides) as it does not appear you are licensed.

10. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

Scotts has a van that runs around here just like TG and the rest. I suppose Scotts could be considered a commercial product. If you read the label its not much different from Lesco brand. Its all sulfur coated ferts. I have used both Scotts and Lesco and both worked equally the same however Lesco has more of competive pricing at least in my area.

If you are just fertilizing I would go which ever is cheaper. IMO