Commercial Gas Station bid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Need a Little Trim, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Need a Little Trim

Need a Little Trim LawnSite Member

I am working on a bid for lawn maintenence, landscaping and pressure washing contract for 6 local shell gas stations. I have bid commercial properties before I am liscensed and insured (may need a larger bond) but, I have never bid volume.
    Querstions:

1) Anyone pressure washed on the large scale gas stations?? Priced per sq'?

2) I know my costs on overhead and everything and what I would want to make on the properties but, with 6 properties being newly landscaped should I give an overall discount initially? Since the maintenence contract is what follows?

3) This is a little new to me and I want the business I don't need it. However, this would be the beggining of a lot of good business from the property owner. Quality and pricing right is of the utmost concern to doing volume so I am not interested in pricing too low just to get business.
    Mainly just looking for suggestions on doing it the right way.

Thanks ina advance.

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Id consider a bit of discount since you wont have to deal with 6 new customers, only one owner(hopefully) and I would spell that out in the contract that you wish to have one point of contact, and not try to keep six different Apu's(J/K) happy, and one itemized bill each month. Not one bill for each station. Again you are trying to make it easier for you and them.

Sell them on the standarized service. IE all stores will recieve the same care and attention no matter which side of the tracks they happen to be on...

I would discount only if package deal, IE if you want it all you can have it, but if you want to do it peice meal it would be X amount more. Simple scale of economy.

I wish I could give you more info and help.. But good luck keep us informed.

3. Need a Little Trim

Will do as far as I can tell it is only one point of contact and that is key like you said. I like the suggestion of one itemized bill instead of 6 that will cut out some monthly billing time.
    I just started working on a new commercial contract so I guess I need to get to it fast...LOL.

I am really interested in finding some more info on if guys bill per sq' on pressure washing. I think I will just have to get that info and run some numbers and see how it works out on paper.

4. MarcSmith

the only thing I could think if would be to take your pressure washer set it up (time yourself of course) and Pressure wash 1000 sqft, and use that figure to help determine your hourly rate....or at the very least how long it would take. per sqft.

Also keeping in mind how mich of PITA its going to be to pressure wash a gas station, unless your doing it in the middle of the night.

5. Need a Little Trim

I know how long that would take me.....I am thinking that middle of the night is best as far as traffic is concerned and safety but, we all hate to give up our evenings....LOL. I appreciate the suggestions.

6. MarcSmith

just remember sicne you would be doing it in the evening, which would be best for your customer, there is an inconvience to you and as such charge accordingly. Any night shift work pays more than the regualar hourly rate...

I'm not trying to nickle and dime the customer, but you have to make sure you get what you deserve....

7. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have several truck stops/ travel plazas, as a word of advice--plan on lots of time picking up trash. it takes me as long to pick up trash as it does to cut, everything from beer bottles to cardboard boxes--you name it.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

ffem is right about the trash. I have one store/gas station I picked up last summer and picking up the trash takes longer than mowing and edging. Client said he would keep the trash picked up but that has not materialized. I charged extra last time and told him it would be twice the mowing price if I had to do this again.

9. Need a Little Trim

Thanks that's why I love this forum some stuff you just can't think of on your own.

10. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont forget to price in blow each entire parking lot, picking up trash and cigarette buds and working around a lot of people and cars.