commercial grade walk behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Earthworm75, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Earthworm75

Earthworm75 LawnSite Member

someone around my way is selling a 36 inch walk behind snapper hydro there not sure of the yr but says its problly 7 years old and they want 600 for it.... good deal ?

also im thinking about purchasing a - Toro Personal Pace, Walk Power Mower 22 In., 6.5 hp, 3 In. 1 i think they run about 370... they can be found at ur local toro dealer or where i came across it home depot... anyone have one of these or ever use one? looking for insight on this particular model as to the quality etc.... any help is greatly appreciated... this would be my main mower if i can not accuire a commercial grade walk behind like the 36 inch previously mentioned .... it would still be my main small mower if i am able 2 aquire.... thoughts~

2. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I would check to see approx how many hours are on that thing and see how well it works. If it starts and runs good and everthing works well it could be a great deal. Most 36 wb's now are $2000 and up so if u can find a strong one at $600 then it's good. But then again, that unit could be ate up and on it's last leg, not worth it.

On the Toro pp, I've used one while my Jd21 was down. It was nice in that it will cut as fast as u can walk I believe, so u can get done about as fast as u want which is better than some other brands/models.

3. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't touch a hydro that old and for that price, there is bound to be something wrong in the near future and hydros are not cheap to replace. Your better off spending the money and buying a new one and getting the commercial warranty. Also, if your going to buy a toro personal pace get the super recycler that runs for 500 at the dealership. They come with a 1 year commercial warranty and are much better.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Earthworm - can't speak to the Snapper you are considering, but I can speak for the Toro. I used my Toro SR4 Super Recycler (bought new about $500 as stated by jbannick) exclusively for mowing my accounts this year. I only have a few accounts for my first year, nothing over 3/4 of an acre. Runs great, the cut is immaculate, and it mulches very well, even with moderate leaf cover. As stated above, the warranty is a good one. I would recommend this mower if you only have a few accounts to mow each week and want to do a top quality job to impress. If you are mowing like 15-20 accts then may want to step it up to commercial grade 21. But all in all, this mower has treated me very well for my first year. And yes, please do buy at a local Toro dealer not a big box, support your local businesses and they will give you great service in return.

5. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

ok, if you are going to spend 500 for a toro personal pace, i would say f that and get the residental snapper for the same price. i have had a snapper all my life. i jus recentally bought a toro commercial 21 inch heavy duty for 1200 for the simple reason that i like a rear bagger over the commercial slide. but i wouldnt go with a toro residental there nothin but crap. also if you dont like snapper or want a rear bagger, go with the honda hrx, my friend has one and swears by it. i dont like it for the simple reason of the "plastic" well they say xenon deck. but i would get the honda or snapper, not a residental toro. jus my opinion. but i would serously look into the snapper instead of a toro residental.

6. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

well the super recycler has a 1 year commercial warranty and when you look at them vs the snapper you can see the difference in build imo. And also spending 1200 on a 21 inch....is ridiculous

7. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

well i was gonna be spending 850 on the snapper commercial, but the snappers have what is called a commercial slide and that shoot gets plugged ^ in wet or jus week old grass. soooo thats why i got the toro, and a lot of people in my area have the same toro. they use them to cut by the canals.