1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

commercial grade ztr

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jeff Voorhies, May 1, 2006.

1. Jeff Voorhies

Jeff Voorhies LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner but have approx. 4 acres and want to get a commercial grade ztr for durability. I have looked at many mowers in my area and the ones that come to the top are the Exmark Lazer ZHP 46", The Dixie Chopper 44" or 50", the Ferris 48". I wanted to check out the grasshopper but they are about an hour away so I may not look at them. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. PS I checked out the John Deeres but they are about 300.00 more than the exmark. Thanks
  2. #1 Exmark fan

#1 Exmark fan LawnSite Member

I have tried out many machines in my days. Scag, Dixie Chopper Buton, eXmark. There all great machines. Some are better than others. Out of all I been on I dislike the Scag's the most they scalp to much. Dixie Chopper and eXmark are the to best machines I think. If you have soft grounds cause of a pond or poor drainage I would take a Dixie Chopper over a eXmark but if it has a fe small hills I would take a eXmark over the Dixie Chopper. If you goto some dealers they will let you demo a machine at no cost if you tell the him you are looking to buy one but would like to try one first. I hope this helps you out.
  3. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 60" Dixie Chopper and love it. I looked at the Grasshoppers before I bought and they just didn't look good to me. I've had it for 2 years.

BTW, I have 5 acres.
  4. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

Hope you don't take this the wrong way but your question has been asked on this site no less than a thousand times! Just to a search and read, read, read. Every answer is already on here! You will quickly see that most folks have favorite manufacturers. You can't go too wrong by just staying with any of the major names of commercial grade products. You say you got 4 acres ........... well, you'll see on here just how much time it takes to do that amount of area with different size decks. It's all answered here ...... just waiting for you to take the time to read.