1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Grounds Maintenance for Herbicide Spot-Spraying and Pre-emergents

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by castle555, Feb 6, 2011.

1. castle555

castle555 LawnSite Member

I have a 48 acre property that I am bidding and it has many long section planters where I've figured a walking application rate of about 14 hours to cover all the square footage (over 100,000 sf) with spraying (4-gal. back-pack). What do you guys charge in your area for a commercial site? Do you use a square foot takeoff, with a basic charge for just showing up and material?

An example would be a 1600 ft. x 10 ft. strip with decomposed granite
    covering the planter area. No mulch, just exposed ground.
    Plants are Shrubs (pyracantha, Oleander, and others) and spaced out every 3 ft., and 6 feet apart. in other words, it's a lot of open ground to spray or to seasonally apply a granular pre-emergent such as Ronstar-G..

The maintenance goal to eliminate weeds in the planter areas.
    And yYes, the cost of doing business must be included -as mileage, fuel, manhours, overhead, insurance, licenses, herbicide
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

To control weeds around shrubs in beds, liquid preemergents are more cost effective while providing better weed control. They can also be easier to apply uniformly and at the correct rate. I like to use a single nozzle fan tip on the end of a long wand to spray around shrubs. That is fitted to either my skid sprayer for vehicle accessible areas or a 7 gallon engine drive backpack for those that are cut off from access. Ronstar is very good for controlling broadleaf weeds. So is Gallery. I like to apply one of those mixed with Barricade or Dimension to prevent most weeds.

I price this kind of work based on cost of material + markup + the costs you mentioned and time needed to apply the treatment.
  3. castle555

castle555 LawnSite Member

Thanks there Greendoctor, for taking the time to give a few pointers.
    I forgot to mention markup, and I usually use a margin of 1.11 or 1.18 when bidding landscape projects, but this is different in that the labor is not as intense or difficult and I would most likely just apply the markup to material costs to remain competitive.