1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Hedge Timming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bucmaster, Oct 13, 2003.

1. bucmaster

bucmaster LawnSite Member

Could you guys give me a figure on commercial hedge trimming prices? Bidding a prop that has 600 feet of low hedges to trim along building. Eight big ornamental holly bushes. I am thinking around 6 linear foot for along building and 25 per holly bush. Am I in the park or out.
    Thanks in advance for all the input.
  2. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

The last hedge trimming job I did I bid it by the square foot. I think that is how I will to all of the rest. I'm going to say between 8 & 12 cents per sq. ft. depending on how easy the cleanup will be and how much ladder time there will be.

I know most guys charge by the hour, but the last job I did I was making about $48.75 per hour and I just can't tell a potential customer..."yeah I'll do it for $48 dollars per hour"...they would laugh, and call some one else.
  3. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

How low a hedge?
    175 for them
    Holly how big?
    35 for them.
  4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

That's sound rather dumb. I charge by the hour. How can you charge by the foot or square yard when every bush is different density??? If the customer doesn't like an hourly rate, get another customer.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

6. Let it Grow

That sounds rather dumb!!! I really don't care how dense it is. If it looks like it will be a hard hedge to trim or if I think it will take a long time to cleanup, or if I'm on a ladder all day I simply charge more per square foot.

If you have customers that don't care how much you charge per hour, great...good for you...but it doesn't fly in this area.

Oh, yeah...I don't need to go get another customer when I can make money off of the ones I have!!!
  7. Doc Pete

Well, let’s see here. You're saying, first, that you "look at" the job a judge how much to charge. It's impossible to be correct just by looking at a job, unless you are God.
    Second, you say you charge more per foot if it's denser. Sorry, that doesn't fly, either, and here's the reason why. If you tell one customer a price “per foot", and then tell another customer a different price “per foot”, you end with "one of the two customers” complaining you charged them more than the other.
    Next, if you have a customer that is “that bothered” by an hourly price, that’s the type of customer that watches the job and when you’re finished says, You charged $100 and it only took you 1.5 hours, which is $65/hour, and that’s too much.
    I’m sorry, if you are “afraid or ashamed” to quote your hourly rate, don’t try to say tell me I’m wrong for your shortcomings. You should be proud of what you charge, and stop trying to “flim flam” the customer by not letting know how much you are charging. Maybe you need a course in “How to present yourself and the services you provide”.
  8. Let it Grow

I let my customers know EXACTLY how much I am charging. I go to their property, measure, enter the numbers, and print out an estimate right on the site, and that is exactly what I charge.

So you are saying that you charge everything that you do by the hour???

If one of my customers asks why I charged less for one job than I did for another, I tell them exactly why, and every customer that has ever asked has understood, and still been happy with my services, and my pricing structure.

I never said you were wrong for the way you charge people...I said...and I quote "If you have customers that don't care how much you charge per hour, great...good for you...but it doesn't fly in this area."

I NEVER "flim flam" anyone...like I said before...I tell them EXACTLY what the job will cost. When I send them the bill, they know exactly what numbers will be on it.

Let me guess...you will be the one teaching the class on "how to present yourself and your services"

Come on now, give it a break...you do what works for you, I do what works for me. What's so wrong with that? You'll never convince me that your way is right, I'll never convince you my way is right because we each found what works for us. So if you want to continue this argument, great, I can argue just as well as the next guy. Hopefully someone will learn something from our arguments.

Have fun teaching...I'll be working!
  9. Doc Pete

I realize it works for you and that's fine. All I'm suggesting is, instead of figuring, checking density and measuring, I just do the job. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but either you "eat" the time you spend figuring out the trimming, or you tack it on to the job. Now if you eat the time, you've lost money, and if you charge the customer for the time, the job could have been completed "just as well" for less money.
    Furthermore, it would seem a waste of time and energy, for the need to explain to the customer why his price per foot is more than the neighbors price per foot.
    Not that you can't do it your way, but rather that your procedure is time consuming or inefficient.
    However, if the bottomline is, this is what makes a happy customer, then you're just gotta do it.......
    For me, I just can't understand having a "variable price per foot" depending on density, especially when having to explain it to a customer. It seems much easier to have and explain a fixed price per foot, and charge for the extra time needed to trim the "denser material". Actually, were both probably saying the same thing, just a different way...........
    Just my opinion,
  10. Let it Grow

I have a fixed price per square foot...between 8 & 12 cents. This seems perfectly logical to me, and perfectly logical to 99% of my customers. All of my customers so far have understood that some jobs are easier and some are harder. If the job is harder or is more time consuming, I charge them more.

The denseness of the material is not what I worry about very much...my hedge trimmer will go through almost anything...rather it is things like cleanup time, ladder time, etc. that I charge more for.

As far as my way being time consuming or inefficient...I used to do all of my work hourly...but I found this new way to be much more profitable, I don't have to explain why my hourly rates are so high to customers, and yes, much more efficient. If you're way is more efficient for you, then good for you. My way is much more efficient than any other way I have seen, or tried...and it makes me more money...what the heck is wrong with that?

I understand your opinion and respect it. Like I said, that is what works for you in your business in your area. But I do think that the least you can do is respect me as a business person, and respect the fact that I have found a way for my business to increase profit, and efficiency. Without decreasing quality or customer satisfaction. I'm sorry that you can't understand it, but it is what works for me.

I was also looking at your profile, and visited your website...do you own a lawn & landscape business or do you work for one or neither? Also, why don't you have a lawn & landscape website instead of the radio controller thing?