Lawn Care Forum banner

Commercial Honda or pro line toro?

7K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  action1 
#1 ·
I am in need of some new 21" mowers, I have looked at both the honda's and toro's. They both seem like great commercial machines, and I see them both a lot on rigs. Has anyone used both? and what do you prefer? Thanks!!

#2 ·
Both machines are good and both have their strengths and weaknesses. It all depends on what you like. If you search through threads on each unit, you'll find people that like each. I've used both machines. Here's what I found:
Toro
Strengths
  • Compact, quick, productive in most conditions
  • Built well
  • Simple 3 speed transmission
  • Kawasaki KAI engine
  • Big 1 gallon fuel tank
  • Good Cut, mostly in dry conditions

Weaknesses
  • Not too good in long, wet grass.
  • Grass will stick to the bottom of the deck when wet.
  • Small chute tends to clog
  • Blade doesn't have enough lift to fill bag completely

Honda
Strengths
  • Honda GXV motor is great but underpowered
  • Dual blades
  • Good mulcher/bagger
  • Excellent cut.
  • Built like a tank
  • Hydro Drive

Weaknesses
  • Heavy
  • Long handlebars and awkward blade engagement makes handling cumbersome and slows you down.

Overall, either mower is good. I suggest you ask to try each out before deciding. You might want to also try out the Exmark 21" X series. I haven't had a chance to try them but I hear they're good too.

#4 ·
Joed- I appreciate your comments, and thank you for breaking down the strengths and weaknesses that is very helpful. Its nice to hear from guys who have used the machines over time, instead of just what the different companies say. They will say anything to sell a product. My company is still young so it is a decent investment for me. I've looked into the exmark's a lot too, but their machines don't seem to have as many features as the others but i will have to test one out before say anything negative about them.

#6 ·
For the Toro, are you looking at the Commercial 21 or the Heavy Duty model? The regular Commercial 21 isnt really much more than a high-end residential mower with nicer wheels. 1-speed transmission, and then handle seems kinda flimsy. I also don't really see that Honda engine as being a true commercial grade engine. The Toro Commercial Heavy Duty, on the other hand, is IMO the best 21" you can buy. I have 2 that are form 1995 and 1996, and they still run, start on the first pull and theres nothing wrong with them they work great with minimal maintenance. Recently had some time to look at a brand new one, and its virtually un-changed except for the engine, which I believe is better anyway. These mowers are a classic example of the old saying "if it aint broke, don't fix it" I think they are great mowers and I would not recommend anything else based on my experience with them.

#7 ·
For the Toro, are you looking at the Commercial 21 or the Heavy Duty model? The regular Commercial 21 isnt really much more than a high-end residential mower with nicer wheels. 1-speed transmission, and then handle seems kinda flimsy. I also don't really see that Honda engine as being a true commercial grade engine. The Toro Commercial Heavy Duty, on the other hand, is IMO the best 21" you can buy. I have 2 that are form 1995 and 1996, and they still run, start on the first pull and theres nothing wrong with them they work great with minimal maintenance. Recently had some time to look at a brand new one, and its virtually un-changed except for the engine, which I believe is better anyway. These mowers are a classic example of the old saying "if it aint broke, don't fix it" I think they are great mowers and I would not recommend anything else based on my experience with them.
Good points. The Toro light-duty commercial or 22156 model uses the same deck as the high end residential unit called the Toro Super Bagger. Not a bad mower but I'm not sure that it will last for commercial work. I bought this unit in the spring as a back up. Here's a link to me mowing with it:

The heavy duty toro is a great mower but like I said in my review, it doesn't seem to work well in wet or long grass as the grass sticks underneath the deck and the small chute clogs. I often wondered if removing the kickers would help?

#8 ·
Joed- I appreciate your comments, and thank you for breaking down the strengths and weaknesses that is very helpful. Its nice to hear from guys who have used the machines over time, instead of just what the different companies say. They will say anything to sell a product. My company is still young so it is a decent investment for me. I've looked into the exmark's a lot too, but their machines don't seem to have as many features as the others but i will have to test one out before say anything negative about them.
No problem. Let us know what you decided to do. I was thinking of getting one of the exmarks but I'm not sure how good they are in comparison to the toros

#9 ·
Have 4 Honda Commercial's with the oldest from probably late 90's or so. All start, but one has a blown driveshaft and we just haven't got around to fixing it. Haven't tried the Toro or eXmark, but I love my Hondas. Dang rice burners, lol
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 · (Edited)
would someone with a 22156 mind measuring the height of the handle from the ground, at it's tallest handle & cut heights? Also, how much money? I can't find one anywhere. (edit: also, wheel size on the 22156?)

The commercial 21's side discharge, gsv190, and being THIRTY NINE pounds lighter are what appeal to me, compared to the honda, but the hrc's are awesome too. I'd actually rather have the 22155/6 deck than the 1/4" deck on the heavy duty toros, or else there go a lot of your weight savings (i assume, since they don't even list the weight of that one like they brag about the commercial 21). But it's either true heavy duty/ commercial, or light weight with these things. Choose one. Actually I'd take a homeowner version of the 22156- I just wish it had a normal bail for the drive system, instead of personal pace.

#11 ·
nm 8x2" wheels, & $899 to $1050. Just need a handle height.

I'd just have a commercial toro dealer order one, but then I'd have to buy it even if the handle height is too short. One thing I like about the hondas is that the top of the handle bar can be up to 44" high!

#14 · (Edited)
I believe either of the Toro or Honda commercials would serve you well. It really comes down to which dealer(s) you get the impression or through previous experience will support you the best. Last week, I purchased another HRC216, but did consider Toro, Exmark, & Bravo. This was my reason for buying another Honda:

* I notice that about 9 out of 10 LCO in my area use Honda, by so, the local market is flooded with Honda parts and I don't EVER have to order a Honda parts. I can always find what I need within 2-3 calls.

* I typically find Honda parts to be some of the cheapest. I have a Kawasaki engine that sometimes just shocks me on the parts prices, but it's an awesome engine.

* The HRC216 is the devil I know, I can tear them down and be back in action in little time. I know all of it's flaws and how to overcome them. With what ever you go with, stick with it and get to know it.

* The dealers I prefer to do business with are primarily Honda guys and the Toro dealers I just don't care much for, not Toro, but the dealers. I've always felt like these other guys are shaking me down for every penny or just sub-par service.

You'll hear that Honda is underpowered, and even I've at times after using something else that screams and vibrates (Harley effect), then use the Honda I get that underpowered impression for a second, because it's not as loud. But when I step back and realize it's actually cutting and bagging better than anything else, I realize it's more than powerful, so why does it need to be louder to get a less quality cut?

I believe the Honda is just quieter, because it's so heavy and dense that the noise and vibration are absorbed not amplified.

Personally, I like the long and tall bars on the Honda. When testing the Ybravo the bars came up to my crotch and I had to hunch over to use it. Through out the day it took a toll on my back and shoulders.

#15 ·
Honda all the way.

I have both, toro and honda 21's.

Toro is easy to work with but the cut is very bad compare to the honda.

You can't mow wet grass with a Toro, you can with a Honda.

The Honda has a bag that tends to clog when the grass is wet.

Go with Honda anyway, you can't go wrong. We don't even use our 21 Toro anymore..

Good luck

#16 ·
Hi Everybody I thought I would update you on what i decided to go with. I went with the toro heavy duty. Sorry to disappoint you Honda guys. I just bought them a few days ago and I love them!!! They are fast, efficient, and cut great! I bought two of them they are a little spendy but overall I am very pleased with the decision. My supplier carries toro and not Honda. I didn't care much for the Honda dealers I talked to. My supplier has been very helpful and has gone out of their way to help me out. I decided to stay loyal to them and buy from them. I really like the Kawasaki kai engine, its strong and runs like a champ! the bbc is my favorite feature, its convenient and saves time. I will lets you know more on how it preforms over the rest of the season and i will post pics here soon. thank you everybody for your input and experience i appreciate it!!

#18 ·
Hi Everybody I thought I would update you on what i decided to go with. I went with the toro heavy duty. Sorry to disappoint you Honda guys. I just bought them a few days ago and I love them!!! They are fast, efficient, and cut great! I bought two of them they are a little spendy but overall I am very pleased with the decision. My supplier carries toro and not Honda. I didn't care much for the Honda dealers I talked to. My supplier has been very helpful and has gone out of their way to help me out. I decided to stay loyal to them and buy from them. I really like the Kawasaki kai engine, its strong and runs like a champ! the bbc is my favorite feature, its convenient and saves time. I will lets you know more on how it preforms over the rest of the season and i will post pics here soon. thank you everybody for your input and experience i appreciate it!!
Congratulations. I hope the machines serve you well. I am presuming that you got the 22198 model, the one with BBC and the Kawasaki KAI engine. Those are great models and great engines. I am sure they'll will serve you will for a long time. Let us know how they perform over the fall season.

#19 ·
Just wanted to weigh in on the 22156, thr company I previously worked for had 4 of them, they were all great, lots of power, they mulched ok, and side discharged and bagged very well. It didnt have much vaccum to suck up leaves in the fall, but cut very well. They are lightweight, nimble, had very few problems,(one of which was the front tire brackets would bend, but were easily bent back, I think its on purpose so they dont break but instead bend when hitting something hard and also the gas tank was too small for a commercial unit. The side shute is great for long wet grass, and you can even bag with the side shute on, which sounds weird but has its uses. Came with Honda engine that ran strong and always started first pull. I know the Heavy Duty Toros are built like tanks but are very heavy and expensive. Just my thoughts, not bashing anything.

#21 ·
im thinking either mower will serve you well. decisions are tuff...LOL. I researched this a while back and bought the honda. i am very impressed so far. Not only did it mulch grass well, when the leaves fell, i was able to mulch them up with no problem. Here in west texas, obviously there arent as many leaves as other areas, but overall im happy with the purchase, and hope you are happy with yours as well.

good luck

#25 ·
I have a Honda and a Toro Proline. The Honda is a toy compared to my Proline . My Proline is old and won't die. It is powered by Kohler Commercial 14 . My Proline has cut 5-10 yards a week for over 10 years and still starts on the first pull. I would even buy used if has Kawasaki or Kohler engine.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.