commercial insurance a must for truck and equip.?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfsup, Mar 21, 2002.

1. turfsup

turfsup LawnSite Member

I know that I have to have g/l insurance in order to operate legally but is it a must to have commercial insurance on your vehicle and trailer? I have full coverage thru USAA on my truck- was just wondering if that was enough? How different is commercial insurance? Thanks for any input.
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Yes. Liability and coverage is an issue, ask your agent.
  3. Stinky

Stinky LawnSite Member

if you have an accident while towing your equipment without commercial auto, you will regret it. so my agent said. with no commercial insurance he can not fix anything that happens
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Visit your local State Farm represenative and ask them about a utility classifaction for your truck. It is far cheaper than a straight commercial insurance policy. You should also ask your current insurance represenative if you are covered. The only 2 accidents I was ever in involved me pulling my trailer, one was my fault, the other was her's. At the time all I had was regular automotive insurance and none of the insurance companies ever said a word about the trailer.
  5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mr Martin was very lucky according to my Allstate agent. He explained to me that it was likely that my regular policy would cover me if I was involved in an accident while the trailer was attached. But, he added, that legally the insurance company would NOT be required to do so. In other words, if you get involved in an accident with another vehicle and there are lawyers involved it's likely that you'll be up the creek. You are tecnically not legal the way you are insured now. You are a commercial vehicle when the trailer is attached and you should be insured accordingly. My commercial insurance is about twice the cost of my regular insurance, but at least I have the piece of mind knowing that if some old lady plows into my trailer she can't sue me because I'm not properly insured.
  6. On our policys for the work trucks it reads ordinary use of vehicle commercial non farm .
    Ours is though state farm on all the work trucks.
    A sixteen girl who was uninsured ass ended the trailor and tore the ramp up.
    The parents didnt even have any insurance and were letting a sixteen year old loose in a car .
    My insurance had to fix the trailer ramp and the trailor hitch that got bend and almost shoved into the gas tank.
    With all the crazy drivers you better make sure of your coverage
  7. ideallawns

ideallawns LawnSite Member

A friend of mine didn't have coverage on his handheld stuff and someone broke into his enclosed trailer and cleaned him out. Blowers, edgers, weedeaters, street blower, pressure washer.

I have a commercial policy on my truck and trailer then what they call in florida an inland marine policy on mowers and handheld. I don't have an extra 8 or 9K laying around in case some takes my stuff.
  8. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I asked a rep at progressive one time what the difference was between commercial and regular auto insurance. I was told that the reason why you get commercial insurance is not to cover your equipment, but to cover yourself incase an employee of yours get into a large accident. This is the scenario the rep gave me... lets say your employee (we'll call him john) john is driving your truck and has a heart attack, then starts swerving all over the road, hits 4 or 5 cars, then crashes head on into an ambulance... john does 175,000 dollars in damage over all... since john is your employee and is currently on the clock, your company is at fault. if you have commercial insurace (which your supposed to have) you should have a minimum of 300,000 dollars liability.. your insurance should pick up the tab for all the damage john does... if you only had regular insurance your liability would not be near as high, and therefore your company would be held responsible for the remainder of the damage... which would be about 145,000 in this scenario.....

i was also told that insurance will never cover tools for any reason... I don't know how right any of this is, it's just what they told me....