1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

commercial jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JTS Landscaping lawn, Feb 21, 2008.

1. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

havent really gotten much for commercial jobs dont know if its the hourly price charging to much or what. just wanted to get an idea on what to charge an hour for apartments and all.
  2. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

It's probably got little to do with prices. I may have to do with sales skills, lack of experience, lack of a reputation with property managers, or just inexperience in the commercial business.

My questions to you would be:

Are you bidding just mowing or bidding full service?
    Do you present yourself and company in a professional manner?
    How strong are your sales skills and how do you handle the sales cycle?
    Do you hold the correct licensing to offer the other services that generally are bid on commercial contracts?
    Do you provide copies of commercial auto, worker's comp, and general liablity insurance with your bids?
    How are you positioned in the community (meaning are you a one man show because apartment complexes usually don't go with someone they don't think has the manpower to service their property in a timely manner).
    Do you ask what there requirements are to get set up as a possilbe vender? If you don't meet those requirements, it could save your time and theirs. I see some managers that take courtesy bids but they have no intention of taking them seriously.
    Do you have a professional bid packet that breaks down every service offered and how many times each service is performed?
    How do you seperate your services from the competition and how do you use that as a competitive advantage over the large LCO's in your area?

These are some of the questions you need to ask yourself before you start looking at lowering prices. I always try to think of everything else first before I even ponder the idea of lowering my prices to get more business.