Commercial Landscaping, Exit Multiple

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tjb243, Jan 10, 2006.

1. tjb243

tjb243 LawnSite Member

My intentions are to start a landscaping company focused on commercial accounts. I had a couple of questions that I was hoping people could help me with.

What is the typical profit margin that a commercially focused landscaping company would operate at. Please keep in mind that a majority of the business would be maintenance business?

What type of exit multiples do landscaping companies sell for? Whether based upon net income or gross sales is there a range in multiples that companies typically sell for.

Is it an industry practice to get short to medium term contracts from clients. For example will clients give a company a three year contract?

Thanks for your help on this>

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

first of all if you are just starting out dont plan on getting to many comm. account. thats what everybody wants and just starting out with out a known name dont count on to much. now for your ? what do you mean by multiple exits? yes you can get three year contracts but rare most are for 1 year. most places want rebid every year to try to get a lower price