Commercial Lawn Bidding

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mlcolston, Jun 12, 2013.

1. mlcolston

mlcolston LawnSite Member

Hello, I have an opportunity to bid on a large retail lawn contract. I have a understanding of residential costs in my area, but not so much with large commercial. What rates should I be looking at commercial vs residential? Time? Acres? I have an idea the time it would take for the smaller areas around the store, but they do have a larger area to be mowed bi-weekly that is about 10 acres. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. SlaytonFarms

SlaytonFarms LawnSite Member

I am in the same boat in slighty different water. I just got my business legal and rigged. I start my first spray next week and have had a devil of a time trying to find how to and what to charge for bareground/right of way jobs.

The only advice I could gleen from other sprayers was to charge between one penny to half a penny per square feet on afore mentioned sites and guarantee them for a year.

If you hear better let me know because I am going with that philosophy.

3. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to say. Different rates in different States.

4. ch4x0r

ch4x0r LawnSite Senior Member

Their is a thread on here somewhere do a search on commercial bidding and it should show up, it is very detailed and helpful basically you have to know your cost on all aspects and what you desire to make a hour/profit. how long it takes to do the job etc. Good luck as i am still learning myself never knew how much their was to this business until i dove in!

5. cinco1

cinco1 LawnSite Member
    from neo

I believe this might be the thread you mentioned. It is full of GREAT information and very helpful...

"How to Bid Commercial Accounts For Real":

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=341624&

6. ch4x0r

ch4x0r LawnSite Senior Member

Yes sir that would be the one!! thanks

7. mlcolston

mlcolston LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input

8. SlaytonFarms

SlaytonFarms LawnSite Member

Great Link and thread.. thanks.