commercial lawn-boys?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutpro2004, Nov 27, 2003.

1. cutpro2004

cutpro2004 LawnSite Member

i would appreciate any help i could get as far as 21"- 22" mowers
    commmercial mowers, iv heard that lawn boys are good mowers from around where i live but iv been reading on here and i hardly if at all see any one mention lawn-boy, do they last a long time are they a good choice verses other mowers iv seen talked about
    on here such honda commercial and toro commercial? also do any of you use lawn-boy? i would appreciate your input and thanks in advance? ;)
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Toro and LawnBoy are made in the same place. Same company. The difference is the LawnBoy is 2 cycle. Lawn boy does make some 4 cycle stuff too. I have a 4.5 Lawnboy that is not a commercial machine. The commercial machine has a bigger fuel tank on it. I do not need to use a 21 trim mower for more than 15 minutes at any one stop. My situation is probably different from yours but if I were you I would consider a regular lawnboy homeowners model to save some bucks unless you really are gonna mow lots of lawn with it.
    The 2 cycle is great for maintenance as well as if you have hills to do. I use synthetic 2 cycle at 100:1 so no smoke. I have had the same mower for 5 years with the only replacement part being a 40.00 ignition coil. The mower is light, self propelled and electric start and I picked it up used for 200.00.
    My opinion only but commercial trim mowers are overpriced unless you have a specific application for them. My money is better spent on my main mower. Good Luck.
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi CutPro,

Here is a quote from this post.

"I agree that the Duraforce is the best engine on the 21".. I have owned Honda, Toro, and LawnBoys. IMO LawnBoy is just the best.. I have Bogged down everyone except the LB's.. All did well, but in certain conditions the Toro AND the Honda would bog down, where the LB DuraForce PLOWED right thru NP.."
  4. cutpro2004

cutpro2004 LawnSite Member

thanks for the input i appreciate it very much, will put info to good use lawn boy sounds good to me.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I have, but I don't use the bag much at all.

Until I can find a 2 cycle PUSH only (no self propelled) LIGHTWEIGHT simple side discharge push mower, I'll stick to my Lawnboys.

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I have the silver series. One is a 4.5 hp, and the other is a 6.5 hp. Both have been great machines. Lighter then the honda, and mulches very well.
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a picture of my old one in 1988.

Thats a Green Machine Trimmer too.

Old Homelite Blower.

2 JD 318's

Cub Cadet 125 (1968)

equipment 1.jpg
  8. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

my lawnboy lasted two seasons, duraforce 6.5 hp, I love my toro (suzuki).

If you are gonna buy a piece of equipment buy one that will last and one that homeowners would not buy, in my opinion helps to justify the price you charge when not using a mower they might have in their garage.
  9. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Those late-80's LawnBoys were the lightest mowers ever. I wish I still had one. now I got the JD-SB14. It does a great job mulching.
  10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Ihave the same lawnboy as TLs, the 6.5hp commercial. i have 2 and i've been beating the crap out of them for almost 6 years and they still run everyday. In the city, push mowers are used on about 80% of your accounts. A bit costly, 650-700 $ but awesome machine. I suck up leaves and it saves me alot of time after thatching, less raking!!
    Adam FGA