Commercial Lawn Care

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kansasmower, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Kansasmower

Kansasmower LawnSite Member

how do you sharpen blades and what do you think works best ?

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Use the search function. This is a topic with lots of history. Also welcome to Lawnsite.

3. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I have mine done now but I' going to purchase a blade sharpening machine this season

4. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

The best tool that I have found is a portable belt sander with 120 grit belt.

The flat foot of a belt sander makes sharpening any blade at the same factory angle a breeze. Plus they do not get the blade as hot as when using a 4 or 6" angle grinder.

Tip time:
    Only grind on the same side that the blade was origianlly ground on. It gives you better cutting results.

Myself. I will even sharpen new blades to suit my taste in sharpness. :p

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use a dedicated blade grinder from Lesco (Neary brand). Works very well.

6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I use a bench grinder and blade balancer.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

4" angle grinder and hoping to get a magnamatic balancer soon.

8. amar

amar LawnSite Member

10" rbg grinder $450 ok results Getting the angle is and issue.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Lesco (Neary), but dog GONE is it slow! Something I DID do to my grinder, was put a longer piece of steel on the table (approx. 8" by 2 1/2"), to better stabilize the blade as it runs through the grinder. Otherwise it just teeterd to much, and didn't get a clean, consistent edge. If the blades are all set at a decent angle, and it's just used for touching up relatively decent blades, it's fine. However, if there is a knick or something in the blade, and some has to be taken out of it, then this grinder is way too slow. When I first got this grinder ($30 from a friend that used it once, and parked it to buy a RBG), I took all my blades over to my friends shop, and set the bevels on his 1012-C. Now, THAT'S a grinder!