Commercial LawnBoy 22260 problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Double Cut, May 16, 2007.

1. Double Cut

Double Cut LawnSite Member

Hello all and thanks in advance. Anyone had this happen?

I am running a commercial lawnboy and it does not seem to "rev" or "spool" up as much as it used to. When I get into a little taller grass (3") the mower seems to bog down to the point of stalling out (did not happen before). If I walk it reeeeaall slow it seems to pick up again. Is this a carb or jet problem?

I have:

Made sure fresh gas is in mower.
    Checked fuel cap that it can breathe.
    Cleaned out the filter.
    Replaced the plug.
    Checked under deck for grass and clogs.

Thanks, Marty

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

if there are a lot of hrs on this lb the exaust ports could be clogged with carbon deposits. you will need to remove the muffler to look inside at the exaust port. also check to see if the govner vane is moving freely tru its travel range. lastly you can set the gov a little higher(this wont help if exaust is plugged) turn the white collor several clicks clockwise to increase rpm (its on the carb just under the white plastic gov vane. ) i am not called lawnboy dan for nothing

3. Double Cut

Ahhh It has to be that. I have about 10hrs. on the mower. There has been a bit of exhaust build up on the front of the deck. My "associate" did the gas mixing. Can bad mixing of gas cause the excelerated deposits? How do I clean it out? Any damage done to mower?

Thanks, Marty

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

if your hours are truely that low-i doubt that the exaust could be clogged. never trust someone else to mix your 2 cyc gas -ever! first try draining the gas in it and try a fresh batch you know is mixed at the correct ratio. 32/1 . get a can of lawnboy oil if possiable . while i have several of these duraforce engines- i havnt ever had to decarb them so i can tell you how to do it on this engine. this engine is very diff from other lawnboy desighns

5. Double Cut

Thanks Dan, Before I had the mower the previous owner said he ran about 6 tanks of gas thru it. I do not know how that translates to time. There seems to be a bunch of "gunk" near the exhaust. I think he ran it with too much oil. The other lawnboys I have I do run the ashless recomended lawnboy oil. He might have used some other junk I have no idea. I will upload some pictures to show you tonight.

Thanks,

Marty

6. Double Cut

Here are some pics. If you look past the muffler housing the entire muffler is coated with this oily dirt. It cleans right up with a quick wipe. I removed the gunk off the deck. I wonder why this happened? The previous owner may have a hand in it? But that fast? I know the mower has low hrs.

Marty

P5171247.jpg

P5171250.jpg

P5171249.jpg

P5171253.jpg

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

DoubleCut ... I have a 22261, the same mower, but self-propelled. I will spare you all the history of the machine over the past couple of years, but some of it hasn't been pretty!

This machine gets run quite hard. Often, one tank of fuel per day isn't enough. Some days, nearly a tank, and a half, is run through. I think it will run about six straight hours on one tank of mixed fuel, maybe a bit more than six. So, if the previous owner ran six tanks of fuel, it may have about 35 hours behind it.

8. Double Cut

Thanks for the input Roger. I will run this mower about 2hrs. a week. I do not cut full time. Please tell me the nasty nasty about the mower. I have heard good thigs about this model. I am sure there is more to tell.:cry:

Have you had this problem? errr anything like it?

Marty

9. Indy452

Indy452 LawnSite Member

thirty five hours is nothing to a commercial mower. The pictures are nice, Thanks. It looks like a new machine to me. I would suggest you install a inline fuel shut off right away or the problem will persist with the oily buildup on the deck under the muffler. The needle and seat are leaking and the excess fuel is going through the engine, out the exhaust ports into the transfer tube which is like a p-trap, into the muffler and blown out the next day when you start the engine. Classic duraforce symptom. I don't know of very many that don't do this.

The best thing is the shut off. Its a pain to shut off and on but it will stop the oily crud.

The float could be heavy now also causing some of the issues. The main problems with duraforce engines in my Opinion are the carb farts you will be having.

I'd install a shut off run the carb dry and then refill and try it and see if maybe the float was stuck or something.

Neal

10. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to take the muffler off to expose the ports.