commercial lawns selling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Nov 5, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i was thinking ahead for spring. Give me your input i was thinking of going bussiness to business and get a contract written up for lawn care and plowing i was gonna have it already typed up and everything and go bring it in. I am talking industrial buildings and places were its usually one comany working out of. Has anyone done this or not do you just go there and say yea i wanna give you a price? I just need to get more commercial and build in that area.
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You can't do any harm by getting your name out there. That's the good news.
    The not so good news is, don't expect to sign people up on the spot.
    You will get your name out there and my opinion is, throw a lot of mud on the wall and see what sticks.
    Most of my commercial has come from either someone I know or being at the right place at the right time. I know it sux but, that's how I got them.
    I've gotten commercial accounts like some on here get residentials. I'll be working at one and another one will come up and ask me to take a look at their property and give them a price.
    Next time you buy gas, leave one of your "info" sheets at the gas station, next time you buy ANYTHING, leave your "info" sheet.
    Some larger commercials go through property management companies and you'll find out who they are by asking to leave your sheets.
    If I were you, I would come up with a flyer/letter "info" geared towards commercial customers and staple my business card to it. Take it in and hand a seperate business card to whomever you speak to. Let them know you'd like to be included in their lawn/landscape bid process.
    Make sure to tell them to keep your info on file in case they're not interested at this time.
    BTW, you'll have to have commercial liability of around 1mil for most commercials.
  3. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

yea thats true but in the area where i live it is very low bal wins game. There is a big company over here that owns i would say 70% of the commercail game. (big commercial condos apts etc) they are always the ones that seem to get it and from what i have heard. They will go into a property and say listen we are huge we do good work and giveyou the best price? How do you beat that. I cant cut **** as cheap as them so what is the best way to go with that in mind? What i think is go in with the best looking proposal and clean appearance and give them it right there. They take a look at it and say ya no what these guys look good and have a fair price lets try them?