Commercial Leaf Rakes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Homie, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Homie

Homie LawnSite Member

I am interested in a wide (36-42") leaf rake, but cannot find anything except the standard plastic jobs at Home Depot.

Can anyone give me an internet site that has something like it?

Thanks.

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Commercial quality....I have not found such a rake that will last.

However...6 years ago I purchased 5 Crapsman leaf rakes--some metal and some plastic. I get new rakes at least once per year and I have not payed for another set since the initial purchase ($17-$22 each). I walk in and throw 'em up on the counter and walk out with all new rakes as soon as these start to flex or crack or ....well you don't need a reason. Make sure you buy enough to get through the season because they do sell out and may not have replacements in November.

jeffyr:D

3. sprout

sprout LawnSite Member

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know. I've always used the real wide Ames rakes, and made custom handles. (Ash that I keep when I replace the rake heads). Also, I've found the wide Union rakes (burgundy ones) a little stiffer, but what Jeffyr is saying really makes sense. He's told us about these rakes before, and the free replacement.(Probably last year at about this time :D) And, when you think of it, if they perform rather well, then this would be a great way to go!;)

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Get a good backpack blower. There is no need for a rake on my trailer. Horsepower beats arm power every time.

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i still use a rake sometimes when stacking leaves, or shoving them into the leaf loader. i too have broken a number of the ames plastic heads. i just use a pitch fork now, and only use the rake to pick up the loose ends. id be interested in a good quality wide rake if somebody made a good one.

7. parkmaster

parkmaster LawnSite Member

personally i like the all metal ones. ames makes a good leaf rake.
    home depot sells them for under $15 each get the kind that has
    a screw through the handle.

8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with Jeffyr-I buy all my hand tools at Sears. Buy it once and that's it. The yellow fiberglass tools are long lasting and the bright color helps avoid leaving them behind.

9. parkmaster

parkmaster LawnSite Member

you still need to rake leaves away from the building before using a backpack or walk behind blower.

10. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I agree and would choose a backpack and ground blower if it were the most efficient route every time. But when the twigs/gum balls/leaves/pine needles/acorns need loading on the tarp or pushing into a pile in the road a rake is my weapon of choice.

jeffyr