1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

commercial line trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kilman's, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Kilman's

Kilman's LawnSite Member

i have been using shindawai for around 7 years but they seem to get heavier every year, i am looking for something as good, but somewhat lighter, redmax tanaka, echo, whats the best and lightest, thanks
  2. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I have always liked shindy, been using them for 15 yrs or more I guess. I haven't noticed them getting heavier, but I have noticed them not running as good.

I still have 260 & 270, they are great, but the new 231, 261, 272 forget it.

I have a stihl 110 edger and 3 br600's, and they are great, so looks like the next trimmers will be stihl.

I think I will start my own thread, which stihl trimmer is comparable to a shindy 260 and 270.

I do like to stay with one brand, makes things easier. I just wish stihl dindn't have those silly gas caps.
  3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i buy husky now-light and powerfull-trouble free 4 years now
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Thats because of all the new emmison crap. My 261 is somewhat heavy but the power and performance has been great!
  5. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

did you try removing the spark arrestors / screen from the muffler opening ?
    i run redmax whippers and until i removed the arrestors theyd get bogged down in like 2 weeks , after removing arrestors theyre alot better . and they say if you keep the arrestors in youve got to regularly clean them for bbetter performance .

but the old redmax before the new strato charged / spark arrested series ran great .
  6. paull

paull LawnSite Member

I wonder whether is worth considering Husky because it is still an older technology that the engines are not choke up by regulation. Easier to start and don't have to warm up like the Redmax, Echo and even the new Shindy T242!!

Just a question, not a comment before you guys start jumping on me.:cry:
  7. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I went from shins to echo. Still love the shindiawa though and kept one trimmer and one edger for backups. So far the echo's are working out, they were cheaper at my dealer, and seem to be a little lighter and better balanced.
  8. QuickMow-Australia

QuickMow-Australia LawnSite Member

Just picked up the Shindy 260 and loving it !, gets my vote...
  9. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki KGT27a, light and powerful. 10.2 lbs and 1.6 hp
  10. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Husqy 326Lx. Been trouble free for 2 seasons. Light, powerful, and very manuverable. We also have a Redmax 2300TR I think it is, it is a little less powerful than the Husqy, but seems to be lighter. I do prefer the husqy though - could be just because I'm used to it.