Commercial Maintenance Bid Check

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by W.L.S.27, Jan 30, 2007.

1. W.L.S.27

W.L.S.27 LawnSite Member

I recently spoke to several people on the administration at my high school about maintaining the school grounds. I wanted to check my price with you guys before putting in my final bid. Now, this is my first time bidding a large commercial contract, so go easy on me. Now for the details
    1. 20 acre property in the middle of an industrial park.
    2. Total of about 15 acres of grass, including about 1/4 acre of landscaped areas.
    3. Mowing, 2x Monthly
    4. Trimming 2x Monthly within 100ft of the building, 1x monthly anything over 100ft from the building.
    5. Sidewalk edging (about 800 ft. of sidewalks to be edged) 1x monthly
    6. Clearing debris from 2.75 acres of parking lots
    7. Hedge & Shrub maintenance 1x every 4 months

Will take a 3 man crew a full 8 hr. day per visit.
    I was thinking somewhere in the $650.00 per visit range.... thats $200.00 in labor, $20.00 worth of gas & equip. maint. and $430.00 profit. Too low??? not sure. Let me know. Thanks

-Chris

2. topdog

topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana

how bad is the trimming there?

i just put a bid in for 30 acre school, and went and looked at a 55 acre school today.

3. W.L.S.27

W.L.S.27 LawnSite Member

Not too bad as far as trimming goes, it'll take a guy about 2.5-3 hrs. to do all of it. Just around the 3 acre building, drainage ditches, and a bunch of islands. Most of the trees have tree rings, so not much there.

-Chris

4. topdog

topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana

don't forget to add in to your profit employee's expenses like work man's comp, unemployment insurance, & etc. business expenses like insurance, equipment loans, maintenance on your equipment, break downs, & etc.

with all that said for 15 acres you would be getting it for around 43 an acre.

one other thing it is odd that a school only wants to be mowed every 2 weeks.

figure in the spring it will take a lot longer to mow it. the 5 or so hours you are figuring wont be the same during fast growing times. with only doing it every other week.

5. W.L.S.27

W.L.S.27 LawnSite Member

They didn't specifically say every 2x per month, they said whenever it needed it, so I just figured worse case scenario. I will put it to you this way, How much would you charge?

-Chris

6. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

i thought we are trying to make $60 an hour per man. i would think you would have to at least make $100 for three men min.

7. W.L.S.27

W.L.S.27 LawnSite Member

sicnj, I just figured my ACTUAL cost of labor for the 2 guys, gas, insurance, loan for the new eXmark, equip maint. and then whatever I wanted to tack on... is this not the best way to figure... remember I'm new to this. Let me know how you would bid it. Thanks for all your help

-Chris

8. topdog

topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana

it is hard to say without seeing the property, and also you have to know your business expenses. like say somone who has less equipment needs x amount per hour to pay it vs someone's who has more, or paid off.

i know most of the things i have read on here says school's go very cheap.

personally i would try to stay around the 30 an acre range for my area. depending on the amount of trimming, and wide open mowing.

i think depending on your equipment, and the trimming i would save myself one persons payroll. if it is pretty open and have a couple 60 inch zeros you should have no problem mowing all that in 5 hours with 2 guys. you said around 3 hours of weed eating if i am correct. that is an 8 hour day if you add a couple hours to be safe that is just one 10 hour day for 2 guys, and 80 extra bucks in your pocket. compared to paying the extra guy 100 bucks to be done 2 hours earlier.

9. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

How big a mower are you going to use on this? Are they going to pay you per cut?The more details you can come up with the better.Whatever you do dont let the idea of big numbers blind you to the cost of doing the job, it will cost you more than 220 to get it done.Can you get any pics of it?

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well I think your 20 buck gas/equipment figure per visit is pretty low.

Overall, I'd say it's low too. IF your figures on man hours per visit are accurate that is.