commercial maintenance Door to door?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Mar 15, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to get a lot of lawns in industrial buildings. I want to get about 20 new buildings. i have been wondering if it is better to go building to building with a price and kinda see what happens but i tried a few but am not sure if it is going to work. I am talking 30 min jobs here not condos and apts. Or is it best to just flyer there area a bunch of times and thinnk they will call. What do you guys find that has worked best??????

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I find what works best is to do residential and put out county-wide advertising until such time I get the call or one of my current customers asks me to put in a bid.

I NEVER solicit for work because I don't have as much control over the price: They call me, always.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The simple way is just to simply go in and ask for the opportunity to earn their business.

In other words, stop in, be polite and professional, state your intent to the 'gate-keeper' and find out 'who' it is they are the gate-keeper for. In other words, who is in charge of making these decisions.

Sometimes these people are more than glad to talk to you on the spot. Other times, you'll have to schedule an appointment. But once you get in front of that person, your main goal is to see if they would be interested in seeing what your company could do for them. See what they are interested in or typically have done, and ask if they would be interested in an estimate or bid.

It is soooo easy to get your foot in the door almost anywhere this way. But it's sometimes hard to actually get the work, and darn near impossible to keep it year after year without being lowballed by someone else.

In my opinion, you don't want to walk in the door with a pre-determined rate all printed out, ect. People are sick of that type of sales. They are also sick of phone calls, junkmail and flyer litter.

You want to go in, sell yourself, earn your opportunity, and let them see you put some effort into inspecting the property and putting some numbers together, which most often requires that you set an appointment to return at a later date with everything on paper... the 2-call sale.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep..............

5. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

Great points above. Remember your image is very important when selling. Always dress professionally and represent your company in a professional manner.