commercial mower pricing?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Cbass, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Cbass

Cbass LawnSite Member

Does anyone know how to find prices online? Its hard to figure out what to get when you dont know how much it costs. the manufacturer websites dont have prices, or maybe im just stupid. any info would be appreciated on getting some prices on riders and w/b's. any brand.

2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I usually compare models online to get some background info. Also ask other people in business how they like their equipment and what they prefer (doing it on this site tends to start brand wars/arguments). Then go to some local dealers to get pricing info and maybe a demo. Once you choose the brand/model that you want, call around and see if you can find a better price.

3. Cbass

Cbass LawnSite Member

thanks for the help, ill do that

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but the price of the mower is irrelevent. All that really matters is if it will do what you need and allow you to make a decent profit.

All things being equal, spending 10% more but getting it from a good dealer who knows time is money and does everything they can to fix it that day or the next WHEN it breaks is well worth the premium paid.

Learn from my mistake. Shop dealers, then get the mower the best dealer has that will do what you need.

5. mch181

mch181 LawnSite Member

hey im in the same position u r
    ive decided next season im goin to get a hustler mini fastrak 42inch kohler
    and a simplicity pacer
    Simplicity pacer is a w/b with a 15hp ohv kohler motor electric pto and a 34inch deck and runs for $2000 also its a hydro
    hustler is a great company for residential lawns
    the mini fastrak is a mini zeroturn mower (i dont need a huge $15000 mower first of all i cant afford it/no space) with 36inch/42inch twin blade deck
    available with kohler or honda motors from 15-17hp
    pm me if u get a chance im 15 and i know alot!

6. Cbass

Cbass LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys. I live in Arizona but i am moving to colorado next month. I want to start a lawn care business, although the only experience i have is mowing my own lawn. I just sold my house and have a fair amount of money to invest in a business. There is alot of great info on here but it seems everyone has different opinions on equipment. I would like to know all the equipment i need to accumulate before i can get started. Im serious about it and would love to be my own boss. I believe its only a 6 or 7 month season up there. Of course it will be a one man crew. What do you think I should start with. There are lots of small yards and lots of big yards, I have alot of family there so i think i can get accounts fairly easy by word of mouth. Any help is always appreciated.
    thanks

7. mch181

mch181 LawnSite Member

well how many acres? what brand do you prefer? if you need a trimmer go echo i have a srm-210 but u will need more power (its a little underpowered but MUCH BETTER THAN MY HOMELITE!) and a blower get a back pack blower from echo or stihl. also buy from a dealer! NO HD OR SEARS! theres so many brands of ztr's out there its hard to choose. choose the one with the nearest dealer and has best election of parts/accessories. next year i will be getting a hustler fastrak mini 42inch kohler and a simplicity pacer hydro walk behind 34inch do alot of research and talk to your dealer. im 15 and my mower dealer already remebers me! have fun! pm me with more ?'s!

8. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

are you looking for msrp's?

9. Cbass

Cbass LawnSite Member

thanks mch181, ill pm you with more questions.
    chopsticks, ya msrp's would be good just to get an idea of what im getting into here. i would like to go with john deere because i have a dealer nearby in colorado when i go. My stepdad farms up there and all he runs is john deere so he knows them well. Does Deere make a quality mower?
    thanks

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It depends some on what you want to DO, there are literally 1,000 or so things you CAN do (besides grass-cutting) you may in your case wish to think about snow removal as well, even here in Virginia I find I can NOT survive on grass cutting alone, so I do a few other things (not too many or you become a Jack of all trades {master of none} but you have to find out what it is you enjoy the most then that is what you do).

Anyway here some t'ings:

Best all-around mower I find is the Toro model 30197 48" Fixed deck for US $2,800, spend the extra 300 on a Velke for comfort and you're set BUT -

I'd recommend seeing if you can get a USED Walk-behind for starters, it's better to learn on a USED machine and IF your business goes belly-up (no offense, but over half do), it's less money lost. Also if the Walk-behind is a floating deck, this makes it more forgiving of mistakes, the fixed deck is unreal on the turf but a pleasure once you learn it.

What you need in addition is a weed-eater and I'd recommend a powerful backpack blower, at least a Stihl Br-420 (the 550 4-cycler is more fun thou) or equivalent. You can consider hedge trimmers and an edger if you're into this, also a chainsaw might not hurt but don't get into big trees while new (like ones can fall into house or whatever, the bigger the tree the more dangerous it gets, anyway).
    Brands: Stihl / Echo / Redmax / errr... I dunno, help me out someone but whatever you get make SURE it's commercial grade, at least the weed-eater and blower, the rest commercial OR top-of-line home-owner if you're not planning to do full-time (example: I use hedgetrimmers maybe a dozen times/year thus my STIHL trimmers are one step below commercial - 50 dollars less AND it's lighter).

You will need, in addition:
    A 6x12 trailer, yes I would buy this new. Time spent here may be able to get you one with solid steel sides, I have 2 foot sides on mine, it is very nice you MIGHT get one used but it HAS to be in good shape - Even brand-new ones only last 8 - 12 years in this business.
    A truck of 3/4 ton or maybe 1 ton designation - This means 250 / 2500 OR 350 / 3500 series, do NOT get a smaller truck it is a waste of money, the transmission on a 3/4 ton and upwards is TOUGH, the first pick-up truck that acts LIKE a truck is the 3/4 ton, I can pull 150's/1500's with my 3/4 ton - You can buy this used, I found my '86 D-250 at an auction for 1,400 with 76k miles, an ex-government truck a bit basic but hey...

A rake (I like the 10-dollar red metal one from Home Depot, you need both like a leaf rake AND a garden rake, dunno how to explain the difference other than the tines are different, one has like bristle tines the other has solid)
    A 10-tine pitchfork? If you get a pitchfork, the 5-tine is ok but the 10-tine stubby pitchfork RULES for ensilage (mulch, moving HEAVY leaves), the extra tines and WIDTH of the 10-tine plus its stubbyness makes this an invaluable tool.
    Shovels (both a round AND a flat edge - the edge of the shovel itself).
    A wheel-barrow (At home-depot, spend the extra $10 to get the one already assembled BUT you still have to tighten all the bolts / go over the entire thing).
    A tarp - Cordura or Dernier, best sizes are 6x8 and 8x10 (I have several 6x8 and one 8x10)... Get these at NorthernTool, do NOT get a plastic tarp.

And, an assortment of tools such as the kind used for repairs (and a toolbox).

blablabla I can go on forever but this should do for starters.