Commercial mower quality vs. residential equip

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Entropy, May 4, 2002.

1. Entropy

Entropy LawnSite Member

Help settle a debate: a friend of mine says his Simplicity tractor will give a better cut than my 3 year-old 48" commercial Bob-Cat with high-lift blades (I haven't picked it up yet (will this Sunday)), because he "knows" commercial equipment is built for speed and durability, not quality. I tell him he's bought Simplicity's marketing hype and that a commercial mower gives commercial results, and that's what he sees at golf courses and ballparks.

Any input to this debate?

2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know much about that Simplicity Tractor, Their Web site has some pretty good info on Striping though. My Dixie Chopper doesn't cut as good as my cheap MTD push mower. But I still use the Dixie %99.9 of the time, even on my own lawn. But that is a completly different comparison.

Soupy

3. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 18hp simplicity tractor with 48" deck I've had for about 7 years now, it does an exceptional job. I've also got a Howard Price 48" wb I've had for sometime now for my biz, and on my own yard the HP does about as good of a cut in almost half the time. It just all depends on how fast you go. Go fast on that simplicity and the cut is not that great and it will bounce you right off the seat. Go slow on the HP and you get an awesome cut and you will still even eliminate most of your trim time. The simplicity has a full set of rollers in the rear of the deck, the HP does not have any but will lay down a much better stripe than the simplicity. Go figure:confused: Never owned a Bobcat myself, but as with most commercial wb's I'm sure you'll be happy. Marc

Are We Having Fun Yet???

4. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

With sharp blades and running doubles on the Bob-Cat, you will no doubt beat any lawn tractor on cut quality and especially on speed. If he doubts you have a comparision run side by side. I think he'll get the point afterwards. Of course I don't know all the details about your used mower but if you make sure you have razor sharp blades and everything is working properly on your Bob-Cat, then you will have him convinced in a very short period I'm sure. Good :D

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

hahaha. This is funny. Commercial equipment will have a better cut, but a lawn tractor you can always tell the cut. Comparing apples to pears. Not even both round. Just remember, most homeowners are hardheaded.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

tell the dealer what he said . that way he will be sure u are out the door right the first time. then spend a little time learning
    your machine.then i believe its time to start baiting this friend into a little wager. if u are so inclined.make sure u are both cutting the same hieght and your tire pressure is perfect. u should eat steak on him that night.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Actually I think just about any mower should give an excellant cut. The question isn't "if" the mower will give a good cut but how slow it needs to go to give the good cut and how tall the grass is that is being cut.

Today's modern commercial mowers are built to give an excellant cut at speeds that the homeowner mower won't even go and will still be able to handle large volumes of grass when the need arises.

Entropy wrote:

commercial mower gives commercial results, and that's what he sees at golf courses and ballparks.

Actually the stripes that you see at the ballpark are a lot of work and they take a whole grounds crew to make them. While stripes in 4 inches of grass is relatively easy to do try laying down stripes in 1 and 2 inches of grass. There is a book called "Picture Perfect" by David Mellor that explains how those great stripes are done.

8. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines LawnSite Member

I hate to say this...but I find that some homeowner equipment does cut better than the commercial equipment, case in point is the 21" Toro Commercial Mowers....I finally gave up on the $1000 monsters and went to home owner models....Both commercial mowers that I have owned never seemed to have enough power. Customer gave me a mower he didn't want anymore and it was an old toro rear bagger and it cut better than my commercials (although the deck was ready to split in half) but that is besides the point.

9. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

awm is accurate, make a wager and enjoy some filet mignon.

Its a pride thing with the tractor.

After you win the comparison run in the yard like Deion Sanders and then do the "dirty bird" dance.

10. kbcjlc

kbcjlc LawnSite Member

I use John Deere F-725.. mow fast and cut very well. I have never own a z mower but one day i will. as for walk in mower, I use yard-man push mower and honda push mower because it cuts good and make it very neat and looks sharp on small yard.

Keith