Commercial mower questions.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Apr 1, 2004.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

In my experiance from all the mowers we have used, I have noticed that a new ztr or walkbehind will cut like a champ for the first 2-3 months. Then we notice the cut quality will start going down hill. We have noticed this on our lazer z, scag, bobcat and gravely. We make sure the tires have equal air, blades are sharp, and decks are clean. None of this seems to help. Anybody else notice this trend? It baffles me to be honest. We keep all of our mowers in top notch shape. Maybe there is something I am missing. After a while the cuts just dont seem as crisp and sharp. Even with brand new blades.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Is that how long it takes to wear the paint from under the deck?
    John

3. ProStreetCamaro

I have tried cleaning and painting under the decks but that didnt seem to help much. Maybe I am useing the wrong kind of paint?

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Do you clean durring the time that you cut the grass?? It might be that with out the paint you have the grass sticking to the deck alot sooner then when it was new?? That will give you a bad cut on any mower:mad:
    John

5. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

I suspect that as you get more comfortable w/ using your "new" mower you inevitability going faster and faster.....and probably too fast for optimal cutting results....I would try slowing down a bit because short of really tearing something up on the underside of the deck or excessive belt slippage the mower should cut about like new (Of course assuming sharp
    blades and a good running engine)

Andrew

6. ProStreetCamaro

Depending on the conditions I will raise the mower up and clean out from under the deck a couple times a day. Some times I get lazy and only do it before we head out to work and wont do it again till the next morning. We sharpen the blades every other day in the spring and every 3 days in the summer when things are dry.

7. tundra

tundra LawnSite Member

I realitivly new at this. But if you do all the things you normanlly do. Tire pressure, Sharp blades or new ones. Clean the deck. etc.

Try this- with a clean deck try spraying Pam or some other lubricate around the deck frame.

We were having problems this winter with snow blower clogging so we sprayed Pam on the auger and inside the frame and no more clogging. Just a thought

8. clcare

clcare LawnSite Member

Pam works try it!!!

9. amar

amar LawnSite Member

Thats the best tip ive heard yeat, here on lawn site.
    Pam sounds like a cheep alternative to no stick grass spray products.

Good one fellas.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I wonder how many bug swarms that will attract.