Commercial Mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JCee, Sep 14, 2005.

1. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

I just purchased a brand new Lesco 36inch WB and cut with it for the first time today. Wow was I disappointed. First I mowed with two spacers and it was way to high..on a long lawn it barely even looked like it was cutting. So I dropped it to the lowest level, and it cut the grass but still it left the lawn looking high and with an uncut look.
    Does anyone else feel this way, or is that how commercial jobs look. This wasnt the best lawn (quality) in the world, but I usually mow it with a 26 inch craftsman rider and it looks beautiful when I finish. I guess my main problem is it wont cut low enough.
    Shouldnt you have the option to scalp it if you want (not saying I do, I just mean as far as height adjustment)? Is there any way to make it go lower? Is Lesco the problem or are they all like this? Help I now have an investment and I dont feel I can market this to my customer.
    I could freakin trim the hedges using 4 spacers....whats the deal? Please help!!

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

There are usually different axle hight settings. How long to you usually cut at? The dealer should be able to help you with adjusting the axle hight setting if that is the problem. Just my 2 cents!

3. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Well lets take a push mower for instance. On my home lawn which is always fertilized, weeds and insects controlled, and watered is a nice lawn, and with my push mower I set it in the middle and it cuts and looks nice. But if I use that same setting on my father's lawn which is only fertilized (mixtures of grasses...basically not as nice) I have to cut it lower to get the same look. Same applies to this mower..but the lowest cut left the lawn long. It looked more like it was knocking the grass over rather then cutting it.....Needless to say I am now very nervous about my lawn biz....

4. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you have something set up incorrectly as that mower should put a fine cut on the lawn no matter what it is cutting. What is your blade height at the front of the deck and at the back of the deck?

5. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Im gonna check now and get back....

6. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Its about 3 inches in the front.....little bit higher in the back....

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

where are the spacer at on the spindle

8. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

All 4 1/2 spacers above

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

are you only moving the ones on the yoke aka where your front tire is

10. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

When you have the crapsman blades down to where you cut your yard at what is the height?

Prob not very high.

You might have to wait for the yard to catch up to the mower.