commercial mowers help get business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clean green, Jul 29, 2002.

1. clean green

clean green LawnSite Member

I have been mowing yards now for about 8 years and still use the normal 21'' walkbehind. I am looking into buying a 36'' encore and maybe getting more business. I have seen many people ask other businesses to mow thier grass while the business was mowing. In my 8 years I have only had about 4 people ask me to cut thier grass when they saw me mowing. Will a commercial mower like an encore get me more business because customers only ask the "professional" cutters to mow thier grass? This guy up the street now has about 5 yards just from people asking him to mow for them. He charges $35 and I charge just $25. Why won't they ask me? Is it my 21" mower?

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me get this straight. Your profile says you are 16 years old and you have been mowing 8 years. So you started mowing at 8 years old. Your a real go getter. How many years have you been getting paid for mowing and don't including your parents?

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I don't think that the general opinion on Encore is all that great. First of all, they are slow, second, they dont' cut THAT good, third, they're not really as heavy duty as other brands. They are fine for smaller operations or residential use but not a real money maker in the real world. There will be some people that disagree but alot of people on here will tell you the same. You'd do better to get something like Scag, Exmark, Hustler, Gravely, Toro, etc. that is known to be great for commercial use. As for it helping gain business that I don't know. You could be charging same as the other guy and be doing good cause alot of people would rather have a 21" on their lawn than a 'big mower' like a 36" wb. But they might not recognize you as a commercial cutter with 21" mower, as not hardly anyone uses them commercially because its not as profitable (not as many people wanna pay extra for it).
    Good luck!
    Eric

PS I'm 15 getting into the business and it won't be easy to start with.. takes work. sounds like you got a good start.

4. clean green

clean green LawnSite Member

I started getting paid for mowing at about the age of 11. So about for 5 years i have been cutting for the green. BrushHogBoy- I am from Kansas City and encore is about all we use here. I have a dealer very close that could service my encore and can get me a good price. I mostly do residential yards and know of people who have been very pleased with encore.

5. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Bushhog boy, have you used an Encore?? Most of the general public has no idea about the "classes" of commercial mowers and I know many havent' even heard of them... other than JD and cub cadet who have good residential models...

6. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

Im 14 and I've been cutting for 3 years and I used a 21" for the first year and picked up a commercial account the next year so I went bargain hunting and found a 38" Simplicity Broadmoor for $1600 that my parents loaned me. Then the 3rd year (this year) I bit the dust and got my step dad to co-sign for a New 48" eXmark Lazer Z Hp. And I havent picked up many more accounts since the new mower but I do have more time to make my current accounts look nicer and maintain my equipment. It's all in advertising and how you present yourself and being professional and doing a good job no matter how long it takes.

Jared's Lawn Maintenance

A little more for a lot less

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

This is taken straight from the posting guidelines.

(* Opinions that slam a manufacturer or product must be backed up with detailed professional facts! If you don't own or have not owned or operated a particular piece of equipment or product your opinion is worthless and will not be expressed at the expense of manufacturer slander. It is much more appropriate to express a company/product complaint in a professional manner.

Bushhogboy,
    I don't recall you ever mentioning that you have an Encore.
    How can you give an opinion about them?

This isn't just about bushhogboy because I see this happening all too often anymore. If you don't have first hand experience with a piece of equipment, then your opinion is worthless here.

8. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Being young might have somethign to do with not getting jobs by people just coming up to you... However, to answer your direct question, a commercial mower will help your image, and image is everythying. How does your truck look? Do you even use a trailer? Keep everything clean, and do a good job, and you will get people coming up to you, but more so with age.

9. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Bushhogboy

don't knock it till you try it!

encore would be an excellent choice!

they make a very durable, service friendly machine...and they've been in the biz for quite a long time!

clean green

go see Jack at Landscapers Choice in Raytown for the best deal on Encores....he's the only dealer that buys direct from encore....no middle man......he's dealt encore from day one and knows everything there is to know about them!

tell him Capt. Dave sent ya, i'm sure he'll treat ya right!

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

clean green-you said the guy up the street is getting customers. What kind of set up does he have? Does he a professional setup? a trailer? Image is everything! I have had people come to me because they seen my trailer or truck. Some "high end residentials" don't want any thing bigger than a 21" mower on their property and they are willing to pay for the extra time it takes.