1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

commercial mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JTS lawn care, Apr 14, 2003.

1. JTS lawn care

JTS lawn care LawnSite Member

i was looking into getting a commercial mower for this year. i have a garden tractor now and i was wondering what you guys think is a good mower.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Like these's

smaller 664.jpg
  3. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

Yeah, what he said.
  4. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I run Scag's and they always been good to me.
  5. Crapsmen are awesome....

d striped back.jpg
  6. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

EXMARK is my choice of mowers I still run John Deere, but I love my two new EXMARKS 48" Metro W/B and 44' Lazer Z HP. 65hoss recommended them and I am glad for that recommendation. I love the way my customers have this deer in the headlights look when te see my mowers but after I finish they have that I just got lucky look in there eyes, I would recommend the EXMARK product line. Good Luck in your hunt, there are alot of good mower out here Lesco, Scag, Deere and the list goes on, but it what you are going to be happy with. GOD SPEED and stay :cool:
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My Scag has been good so far. Whatever size garden tractor you have now get a hydro walk behind of same deck size and a sulky to ride on and watch your productivity soar! They're a great first mower, awesome on hills, great on smaller lawns, great visibility and outfront deck versatility, easier on the wallet, don't look like as large of a machine as a Z (scares off some customers with smaller lawns), etc. I could go on and on. Maybe a ZTR rider is better for you, but going from a garden tractor to a hydro w/b and sulky is a huge step that I think should be made before going to a Z as they're more affordable and versatile. If you get a Z now you might find that you also need a walk behind for some areas but IMHO, a good walk behind and sulky is very productive unless you are mowing an acre or more because you can only go so fast due to terrain and obstacles. I guess it's how much money do you have to spend, what are your properties and needs like and personal preference. I prefer the versatility, visibility and affordability of a hydro w/b and sulky. When I have tried Z's I didn't like that the deck is right under you (less visibility and lot more blind spots) and less hillside stability and you have to be alot more careful on turns, etc. they do have alot of advantages though, faster speed, bigger engines, sit down comfort, compactness, better bagging options, etc. it's just "not for me" right now.
    Sorry for rambling but I know where you are when you say you have a garden tractor and this is how I look at it since I recently moved from homeowner riders to commercial walk behind and sulky. It just works great for me and it's so much more convenient to have just one machine to do it all.
    Good luck this year!
  8. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Great Dane surfers, nothing beats them.......
  9. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I like Scags too. I've also ran a Lesco walkbehind and I'd consider it a good mower too. Overall, I'm a Scagman though.

I'm goin to Florida and the Bahamas this weekend and all of next week. I need to get one of those signs but one with a Scag logo on it. :p :D
  10. Emerald

Emerald LawnSite Member

Get a EXMARK and never look back!!! :blob4: :blob4: :blob4: :blob4: :blob4: :blob4: