1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

commercial mowing account bidding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Connie, Feb 22, 2001.

1. Connie

Connie LawnSite Member

I just started my own business 3 yrs ago. I have mostly residential mowing accounts but like to get into some more commercial accounts. I was wondering if you guys bid on an account by simply telling the people 50.00 an hour (or whatever your hourly wage is) or do you give them a set amount by estimating how long it will take you? I've seen both ways done. Thanks
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't reveal my hourly rate, they'll think your nuts! Just figure the entire project and submit it to them. How much you make an hour is not their business----just yours.
  3. inside-out

inside-out LawnSite Member

I agee with Homer don't give them an hourly rate, What I do is i figure how many acres and I charge by the acre. For my area the going rate for commercial mowing is about 42-45 per acre. for 120,000 sq. feet that is a little under 4 acres so i would go in right around $165.00. probably would only take me 1.5 hours or so. Try to find out a good going rate for your area.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Exactly. They don't need to know how much per hour, or how long it will take to finish the job. Just give them the bottom line.
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Was this supposed to be 3 acres(we bid 44m/sf per)??

We submit proposals based upon the square footage and linear footage required to do the work. We have bid anywhere from $28 an acre for flat out open area mowing to $55 an acre for an area with numerous obstacles/ornamental beds/pedestrian traffic/etc. Trimming gets bid out at about $28-32/hr per trimmer.

Hope this helps.

[Edited by kutnkru on 02-22-2001 at 08:37 AM]
  6. rathomas

rathomas LawnSite Member

In my area, Dallas, TX. it is my understanding that the contractors bid on the job for the year, but what I'm not understanding is, do you still bid the way you are talking about or do you give them a figure for the whole year?

Sorry if this question sounds stupid.
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I break my prices down for the customers.

I present them with figures for total turf area and linear feet of trimming. I will then show pricing for clippings removed, clippings dispersed, cost for trimming/edging, cost for blowing off pedestrian and vehicular pavements.

Once I have presented this information I will display pricing for the season as well. I just like to make sure that they know what they are paying for so that if they compare our bid to someone elses they will know that ours includes more or less for the dollars being discussed.

Hope this helps clarify a bit. :)
  8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with the fact that the costs of all your expenxes costs you about $30 dollars a yard if not somewhere around there (this includes gas, insurance, equipment, and if you have a crew their pay, ect...) so i try to make a dollar a minute at every job i do. if a customer says i pay you $20 dollars to cut my yard and you're only here for 15 minutes i simply say i have $20,000 worth of equipment on my tralior and it is the best equipmant that money can buy, also i say look at your yard and look at your neighbors, who's looks better? i'll say does their yard look like a professional baseball field with all the lines and the diamonds from the double cut. this only happens the 1st time i do a new account, after that they love to see me pull up to their yard because of how many complements they got since it was cut last. i say that if you cut for 4 hours a day bot including drive time that you should make in sales around $250 to $300, granted thats only about 8 yards but you should get what i'm saying.