Commercial Mowing and Edgers Equipment

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by josemontes, Jan 19, 2009.

1. josemontes

josemontes LawnSite Member

Hello all,
    I am starting on the landscape business and I was wondering if any of you can recommend the most reliable brand for commercial mowers and edgerÂ’s. I know this will be crucial for the success of my future business.
    Thank you!
  2. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Well that's going to depend on what you have for local dealers!

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

It really does depend on your local dealers. Personally I run Toro and Exmark for mowers and Redmax for all of my handheld stuff. Not saying it's the best for you, but I love it.
  4. IntegrityGuy

IntegrityGuy LawnSite Senior Member

What equipment you buy mostly depends upon the availability of dealers. some brands that will have dealers in your area that have really reliable products are

Hand Held:
    - Stihl
    - Echo
    - Husquavarna
    - Redmax
    - Kawasaki
    * do not buy from home depot or any other big box.

- Scag
    - ExMark
    - Wright
    - Bob- Cat
    - Lesco
    - havent heard anything good about Cub Cadet.
    - Commercial John Deere -- not the Home Depot sh*t

You will be safe with any of these brands. ** just do not buy from any stores Like Home Depot or Lowes or any Big BOx stores. Most of thier stuff is chinese nock off and the Echo equipment is referbrished used equipment. (everything is new beside the engine.**
  5. Nick's Lawn Care

Nick's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

You local dealers are going to be the most important... you could have the best trimmer on the market but if your dealer wont stand behind it and he is a jerk then you better hope it doesn't break down....

Just shop around at any stores that sell the products above and see what one treats you the best and go for it...

6. Lucky Star Lawn Care

Lucky Star Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I use Toro mowers,Redmax blowers,trimmers,etc..,stihl chainsaws. When I go to purchase new mowers gonna go with Ferris. Your dealer might let you demo before you buy, I know mine does
  7. ACW lawncare

ACW lawncare LawnSite Member

l Love my ferris hate my toro but its old and have had all good luck with stihl blowers and trimers
  8. jhastrello

jhastrello LawnSite Member

I've been really looking at the mowers (same situation as the thread owner), closely the past 10 days. I'd agree on the 'dealer aspect', whoheartedly.

I'm down to Scag and ExMark. I was really impressed with the Ferris, but I've just simply read too much on this forum about 'cut quality and cut problems' on the Ferris. That, and if you read the brochures from all three (Scag, ExMark, Ferris) - both the Scag and ExMark brochures really focus and concentrate on the 'quality of cut' and the design of their decks.

Ferris - the 'ride'.

My clients are not going to care about the 'ride', but are certainly care about the cut. Far too many comments about cutting damp or wet grass. Here in E. Texas - lot's of 'dew' to deal with, and can't wait till 10-11AM when the grass is perfectly dry.

Having said all that, what have you found with cut quality with your Ferris? How about damp/wet conditions?
  9. IntegrityGuy

IntegrityGuy LawnSite Senior Member

If your going to cut damp or wet grass do not go with scag. I sometimes use my buddies scag tiger cub and the deck collects the grass and then spits it out in chunks and it looks horrible. Exmark is your safest and best bet. I know that the deck is one of the older scag decks which are notorius for clogging but i wouldnt chance it with the new ones either. Exmarks have worked great for me.
  10. ACW lawncare

ACW lawncare LawnSite Member

i have been running ferris walkbehinds with the 23 kaw. I havent really had any problems with damp grass I allways double cut every time in two difrent directions, if it did clump up the second pass always looks amazing I also do not use gator blades.... and I put fresh sharp blades on every morning