1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Mowing Co., Only Paying $10 HR. to plow snow

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lawns2nv, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Lawns2nv

Lawns2nv LawnSite Member

I got a question to ask, my buddy got a job a few days ago with a pretty large commerical landscape co. He got hired to plow snow. He is on a on call basis for the winter. He told me their only giving him $ 10 dollars a hour, to plow or shovel when needed. I would hire him but basically I'm a 1 man operation. I think $10 bucks is really low. What do you guys give your employes to plow snow ? I dont think its woth it to be on call 24/7 for $10 dollars, what do you guys think ?
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Seems low, especially if he's guaranteed no hours.

Some companies pay that low but pay 40 hours/week if there's no snow.

I think $16-20 is more realistic.
  3. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

$15 buck to sit in a cozy cab. $20 bucks to hand shovel.:blush:
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly, it's his choice to go plow the snow for $10 an hour. So if he agrees to it, that's his fault for the low pay. If nobody would take the job offer, the business owner would have to raise his starting wages. So who's really to blame for this? Just my opinion though. I also wouldn't expect very reliable or experienced help at that kind of pay either, so the business owner is taking a chance with not wanting to pay fairly either.
  5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We put our employees on a salary until April 1st then back to hourly wage. We pay them on an average of 14 storms break that up over dec, jan, feb, march and give them a weekly pay check (not large) but they can count on a certian amount of $$$$ a week. I told them they are welcome to work for carpenters-masons or any job NON related to this one. They make out real well at times, and we give them 25hr for roof snow removal and 25hr for snow removal at sites for a added income. They really like the arrangement and do to being mostly commercial we can tell almost within a $100bucks what comes in & what goes out. For we get paid wether it snows or not or if we do the lawn or not thats why we went commercial!

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

in my area that may be a shade low but in the ball park, i dont gurantee hours but i dont need to we get enough snow so i always have people to work.........we also pay fairly quickly
  7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Glad to know somebody's getting snow... seems to be a bit slow elsewhere.

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

wel i cannot say i have had some snow yet this year..........i am as unfortunate as everyone else so far

remember you still have a SOLID 2 or three months left with only one or so down
  9. rebel2002

rebel2002 LawnSite Member

Does he have a cdl? experience plowing? Heck $10 an hour with no overhead or other expenses of business ....where is the dotted line i'll take the job.....face it when it snows...what do most people do? stay at home...he will be working......most of us see big money per hour but we are the boss that is the differenc e we also pay the big bills......sometimes i even wonder if it is easier to be the employee....they know that they are making x number of dollars an hour.......if you blow a hydro motor cutting or loose a tranny plowing there go your profits. the guy in the truck is still making 10 dollars an hour
    my 2 cents.....oh yeah but i wouldn't trade my position for anything I love what I do
  10. Good point rebel

I got stuck sitting in a truck for 12 hours waiting to get a plow fixed. I got paid for those 12 hours also. That was a long time ago and I got more than $10 an hour, but the point is he will be working to clear the way so others can work.

$10-$20 an hour all depends on how bad he needs drivers.

BTW, mine are getting $11 in my trucks