1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Commercial Mowing & Knee Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KPM, May 18, 2008.

1. KPM

KPM LawnSite Member

Question....for those of you who spend most of your days on Zero turns.

Does anybody have sore knees at the end of the day and/or bruising around your knees?

Are your kness stiff after ridingg for a few hours?

My do everyday and I am wondering if it is my knees knocking as I am riding or the vibration of my feet bouncing on the foot rest and affecting my knees?

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has similar or found a solution.
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i got a ztr because i couldnt walk every lawn anymore... could barely walk at the end of the day, and my ankles and knees would ache all night. the ztr actually made my life easier.
  3. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I have arthritus(sp) in my ankles and knees. I cant walk the lawns anymore.
    I have a Ferris ztr, and my back, knees, feel better then a day on my lazer z.
  4. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

It may or may not be related to the sitting for long periods. The sitting allows your quads to get tight and that pulls on the patella. Any roughness on the back of the knee cap then causes pain and inflammation. I don't know, is that like the soreness you get? You could try and stretch your quadraceps during the day the next time you mow and see if that helps. Building you hams will also serve to stretch your quads. I found the stretching to help a lot when I would get sore knees from long hours in a truck.

Stay hydrated to help lubricate your joints.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Monitoring yourself, relaxing and slowing down a bit might help some.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I hyper extended my knee years ago and did some damage but, I've yet to get it fixed if it's even possible. If I walk one yard, my right knee will be sore and eventually extremely painful. It's the same on a Z. I can hardly walk after mowing on a Z. Plus, I believe the pitching sideways while using a Z contributed to a pinched nerve in my lower back last year.
    I can go all day riding Jungle Wheels though.
    So, I have 5 walkbehinds!
    I'm considering a Scag sthm, not sure if it pitches you like a normal Z.