commercial mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JTS lawn care, Jan 14, 2003.

1. JTS lawn care

JTS lawn care LawnSite Member

i was wondering if anyone could tell me how i would go about figuring out how much to charge for doing a commercial place.

2. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

$1.75-$2.00.....per thousand sq. ft.....just for mowing

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

You're kidding right? :confused:

4. brian mon

brian mon LawnSite Member

No...thats what we bid em at around here.....$25.00 ph labor rates....although I have some that are double that $1.75 rate...

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

So,what would 10,000 sq.ft. bring? If $2 per 1K? $20?

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

A 5000 sf lawn would bring $10. But, I'm assuming he deals with bigger lawns. Larger sf would bring more dollars.

7. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe being from S. Dakota has something to do with his prices.

Where abouts is Yankton?

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Greenman

I grew up about 20 miles from where Brian is. I'd say he's right on with price for that area. You have to realize that Yankton is in a very rural area. only about 10000 people (correct me if I'm wrong Brian). Not an interstate within 40 miles. Not alot of industry and what is there is depentant on the Ag industry, and if you have'nt noticed the ag industry is really suffering.

I'm in about the same boat here. Columbus has about 20000 people. Most of the factories are laying off. One of my Goals this year is to get all my mowing accounts up to $30 per hour.(36"gear drive). I probably won't get them all there but I'll try.

I'ts hard to read about a dollar a minute mowing, but that's usually with about a 60" mower.

I try to price by the estimated average time it will take me to Trim/edge, mow and blow. Instead of by the sq.ft.
    I do measure sq ft and use that as a starting point and for fert pricing.

Pricing varies so much around different areas in the country, I'ts hard to compare.

sorry for my ranting

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I charge a flat rate for both commerical and residential of .003 per square foot. With a minimum charge of $20 for a lawn. So basically I charge $3.00 per 1,000 square feet.

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I was not, by any means, knocking his prices. I am just amazed how some areas are so much different in price than others. Prices are pretty competitive here, but I live around busy towns that are really growing,but this market is flooded. I've heard where some guys average $40 to 45 per acre, whereas it probably $55 to $70 here.